This project was born out of frustration! While putting away my Christmas crate display, I realized some of the fiberfil "snow" I used had stuck to the top of the cabinet it was displayed on. It was time to do something!
This mid-century modern cabinet was a Craigslist find that came out of the home of a smoker. There was decades of cigarette smoke, tar, nicotine and grime built up on it that caused the top to be sticky.Just a word of caution. This is an EXTREME method of cleaning. It worked on this teak piece, but it could have easily damaged this as well. Your results may vary so use this at your own risk. I was willing to try this because if it hadn't worked, I would have had to completely strip the piece. I was willing to take that risk.
Note that using acetone on a poly finish will eat through it and you WILL have to totally refinish the piece. I know so because back in the day Steph spilled a bit of nail polish remover (acetone) on our dining room table and it left a quarter size mark in the finish. This teak cabinet did not appear to have a finish on it other than perhaps an oil finish. I don't know for sure.