My Big Fat Greenhouse Project
It all started when I saw a post on Hometalk about a greenhouse made of old wood windows. My first task was to find a bulk of windows. I called 2 local contractors who specialize in window replacements. Luckily one of them called me back within an hour to tell me he had 22 windows and would sell them to me for $5 each. SCORE. What I did not expect was 22 windows equals 44 sashes. And he threw in the 2 large picture windows for free. Total cost of windows $200 and I sat down on New Years Day and counted my husbands change bucket netting $377.50 in quarters which is what I spent on the lumber. That'll teach him for saving his coins for so long!
24 are 27" x 32 which stacks perfectly and since they are all the same size framing the 2 sides was easy.
And there's more I got 2 which are skylights. Awesome!
These are the picture windows. 4'x4.5' and 3' x 3'
4x4 posts cemented in place. 2x6 Floor Frame. Covered in 2 sheets 3/4 Plywood. Floors Done Day1
First Wall Up Day 2. Since the window frames are wood we were able to cut them with a circular saw.
Day 3 Both Sides in place.
Day 4 we set the Picture Window in the frame. It's very solid.
I'll post more pics next weekend when we start up again. Tonight is Pizza and Martini's to rest up.
Published January 10th, 2016 2:28 PM
2 of 90 comments