Nora
Nora
  • Virginia Beach, VA

Old Bathroom Mirror Makeover: Decorative Paint Frame Without Mirror Removal

$50

I enjoyed a recent post by Danielle Fraser and thought I'd share the solution I used, implemented in summer 2012 and didn't require mirror removal:
Issue: Our entire bathroom needed an aesthetic upgrade. Sore spots included the large mirror that had been glued to the wall by the builder and had been discoloring for years from behind. Removing it would have created more work in wall repair. Instead I created a 2-step border, in the same decorative tissue and leaf paint finishes that I'd used elsewhere in the room, to frame around the old mirror, hide discoloration and tie the theme together throughout the room. When finished, I mimicked the process in accessories (boxes, glasses, etc.).
Before: The need for a bathroom makeover (aesthetic only) was evident in this example: The large mirror had been glued to the wall and was discoloring from behind. Removing it would damage the wall; I needed a creative fix.
Notice the mirror is taped off, as are boxes/accessories to be finished in the same way.
I primed the mirror (and some glass accessories) with glass and tile primer. I then created a two-step decorative paint frame around mirror to update the look, hide the discoloration and tie the theme together.
I finished outside part of frame with Sherwin-Williams' Artisan "Tissue" decorative finish, with antique white color. Glaze will be added at the end, to entire frame.
I painted the inside of the frame in Sherwin-Williams' Artisan "Leaf" finish, in a green color. Notice that the outside part of frame was taped off first,using FrogTape yellow for delicate surfaces (after frame was completely dry)
Not much to tell, except that Frogtape green and yellow are what I recommend.
After: The photo's not great, but the frame is actually very nice. Perfect in-place solution. (Floor: I resurfaced the old existing tile with tinted concrete.)
After: Again, photo's not great, but it all turned out beautifully.
Nora

• Nora

Hi Nancy :) Sherwin-Williams Duration semi-gloss paint; color "Woodsy Brown" (#2924). If SW makes the dark base in their new Emerald paint then I recommend using the Emerald line because it's an upgrade in the durability.

• DebbieF

My bathroom mirror is huge and is about the same size as yours except the bottom comes all the way down to the backsplash on the sink. I like the idea of framing it but don't want to remove the backsplash does anyone have any ideas how I can do it. P.S tried to talk my hubby into replacing the mirror but he doesn't want to do that right now.

• Sherly

Google "Frame my mirror." Or "Mirror Mate." Just did both of my mirrors that are like yours. Love them, except wish I had chosen a different color for the one bath, but working around that with accessories.