How to Make a Cobblestone Boot/Shoe Tray

I was not looking forward to getting out the "dreaded towel" this Fall/Winter! In the past I have put down a towel by the front to protect the floors from the abuse of wet shoes and boots during the winter months. After sitting out for weeks and months the towel shifts around and gets dingy and starts driving me nuts!
I was determined this year to find a more orderly and attractive way to contain the wet boots and shoes and without spending much. Below is the solution I came up with--a grouted cobblestone boot tray.
I am loving it! This is definitely a project even a novice diy-er can do (you don't even needs power tools). Here is how I made it--First have 1x2's cut to the measurements below and a piece of melamine cut too (you can usually have it cut for you Lowes or Home Depot if you buy it there).
Using Liquid Nails I adhered the 1x2's to the sides of the melamine and let it dry for a full 24 hours.
I bought a bag of cobble stone at Home Depot (it's in their garden center) for $3.50. Wash and dry them and have them out and ready.
Next put down a generous layer of mastic/thinset on the entire bottom of the tray.
Take the cobble stones and spread a layer on to the mastic so that cobble stones cover the whole tray
Because I have little ones and didn't want to find stones all over the house I decided to take it one step further and grout the stones like you would a backsplash. Below shows how it looks with tan grout.
Grouting may sound scary but I promise it isn't scary at all--messy, yes, but difficult not at all!! Come on over to see how to grout the stones and get more details on this project at the link below!!:-)

Tamara @ Provident Home Design

• Joanie

I seen a big pot, black and white, with handles..........I like that,,.....is it possible to see a full picture of it?
    • Forrest Green

Joanie, it apears to have just been a large water bath canning pot like these. Available at most home goods stores.

• Margaret

Really great idea, and you don't need rocks all over - even if you don't have kids. Do you think you could use Kwik-Crete instead of grout?
    Thanks for sharing.
    • Teri

I think it would make it very heavy if u use kwick crete
  • Lyn

How do you keep the moisture/dirt from the boots dripping on the stlnes & getting musty ?

• Mary Hise

Wow great idea, I'd like to make this for plants or herbs on the porch.

• Connie

This is a wonderful idea. To take it one step further, if you live in a coastal area, have your children collect shells at the beach & do the same thing with the shells as the top layer of it. If you go to the beach after a big storm, the larger shells & different colors wash up on the beach.