Goodbye Carpet, Hello Select Surfaces

$1.75

The floors in the flip house were a nightmare when we bought it... as a matter of fact, the first day we took ownership, we immediately ripped the stinky, nasty carpet up.
goodbye carpet hello select surfaces, flooring, hardwood floors, home improvement
Here is a picture of what the living room looked like and the walkway to the bonus room, which, by the way, we tore down and made in to one large living space.
I ended up choosing Select Surfaces new color, Barnwood. It's an amazing color, it could go in a rustic home, or a modern home and fit in either place.
TIPS!
Acclimate:
Be sure to let your laminate flooring acclimate for at least 48 hours. And if, like us, your house is on a concrete slab, you MUST lay a vapor barrier. The barrier is simply a thin sheet of plastic that goes between the concrete and the flooring. Concrete sweats moisture and that moisture will destroy laminate if they come in contact with each other. Google "moisture damage laminate flooring" and you'll have nightmares for days about cupping, warping and floors coming up!
Randomize:
We unpackaged about 4 or 5 of the boxes and made stacks of "like" patterns, this way, we could pick each new board from a different pile so that similar patterns were not next to each other.
The boards were 4 feet long and you want to lay them in a staggered pattern. We went with 4 different lengths. 1 foot, 2 foot, 3 foot and 4 foot lengths. Then we mixed those up because you don't want them to look like stair steps!
Here's what we noticed about this flooring. It seems like it is higher quality than most laminates. It was very thick and came with padding already attached on the bottom of each piece.
So, just a reminder... here is how it looked before:
And here is the after:
Both of these photos were taken from the front door. What a difference knocking the wall out makes!
Are your floor screaming for a makeover? At $1.75 per sq/ft, you can't go wrong with this flooring, I love it!
If you'd like to see more photos of the installation and details, you can click the link below.
Karrah @ Mrs Do It Herself

• Ollie

I am about to install this same flooring. I looked at dozens of different flooring before choosing this because it was affordable and looked to be good quality. Your floors look great! Can't wait!

• Laverne D Joseph

Thanks for sharing this project, Mrs. do it herself. I'm going to try and "do it myself!" I'll post pictures when I'm done. Pray for me!!! :)