Antique Sled and Sweater "Mittens" Winter Porch Decor

While I love the look of vintage ice skates hanging on an antique sled (which is all the trend), skates can be hard to find and EXPENSIVE. Plus, I don't know about you, but I never wore skates while sledding...but I did wear mittens! And making your own pair is easier than you think- with a thrift store sweater!
I bought a red sweater at a thrift store with a sole purpose in mind- DIY mittens. Or maybe "smittens" since they'll be sweater-mittens. To make them, I turned the sweater inside out and traced my hand (fingers closed) along the side seam. My kitty, Cottonball, decided to help.
After doing one side, I did the same to the other.
Then, I cut them out through both layers of sweater. Then, I did a quick stitch along the raw edges and added a little fray-stopper (or fabric glue) to the raw/cut edges to keep them from fraying.
When the fray-stop had dried, I turned them rightside-out and voila...smittens!
Now to decorate my antique sled!
I started by doing yard work- ha! I trimmed a couple of small fronds from our cypress trees and tied them to the sled with twine.
Then, I draped some large jingle bells over the evergreens.
And then added my smittens and a large poofy bow! Wonderful porch decor for Christmas and all winter long.
Sadie Seasongoods

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 45 comments
Next