Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Metallic Ombre Side Table

I think I might have done a “happy jig” when I discovered these two little beauties at the thrift store the other day. Yes, they were looking a tad dowdy, but I was very excited about their form. Just check out those horizontal lines! A quick project with these would turn out some rather sophisticated and sleek beauties for my living room.
http://zestitup.com/metallic-ombre-side-table/
Photo Credit
diy metallic ombre side table, living room ideas, painted furniture
The first step was to prep them for refinishing. The chipped matte black finish had to say, “buh-bye!”
First, I simply removed their glass tops, and then I elevated them. When doing a painting project, save yourself some headache by raising your piece up off the ground…even if only by an inch. This will allow you to prep and finish the entire piece without paint sticking to your tarp or any painted surface picking up dirt. It makes the job clean and fast!
Personally, I trust Rust-Oleum when it comes to painting anything for my home (especially metal projects). With a family of five plus pets, things have to stand up to legit wear and tear. I may love design, but the reality of my life is that it is messy! So, I prepped the tables with a decent coat of their metal primer. The best part about using this primer is that it dries super fast….so you can quickly get to the fun part! COLOR.
For the the legs, I chose an anitque bronze spray paint with a hammered texture. Make sure to keep the can about 8 -12 inches from your piece, and spray in a sweep that lifts away motion. It will help to keep coats light and not run.
Now for a little fun. I chose a copper spray paint with a similar hammered texture. Spraying the top portion solid, I gently overlapped the copper onto the antique bronze legs…creating an ombre effect.
Basically, with the legs a nice solid antique bronze, I simply created a thin layer of “overspray” with the copper. This allowed the copper to be a bit transparent and kept away any hard-lines that two separate colors could have made.
Subtle ombre look achieved? Check.
I am lovin’ it! We had to do a little test run with it while I was working on them at Sam’s. Just so darn cute! I cannot wait to try them out in my living room!
All in all, a fast a rewarding project. Gosh I like those!!
xoxo
Chanda

• Rust-Oleum primer
  • Rust-Oleum Hammered bronze
  • Tarp
Zest it Up

• Emmawilliams1

curiosity...what did you pay at the thrift store and what was the total expense. very pretty..Have 2 similar and tried to sell them 3 times at my yard sale, for $2.00 each..Decided I would and will...keep them and redo as you did.. thanks

• Emmawilliams1

wish u weren't in NM!!! Also the couch she is sitting on is similar to one I bought at thrift store for $12.00 and am redoing. {only the fabric as framing is very rigid etc...} she looks good sitting on the couch! Her husband sure has a good find!! have a great day, all of u readers out there!!!

• Mary Jillson

I found similar tables but they have rust on them, suppose I should sand before painting?

• Julianne Spreng

Absolutely! If you don't the rust will flake and can bleed through. Just a light sanding with medium grit paper or even steel wool or a very coarse plastic scrubby. And only on the rusty bits. Then wipe down, prime, and seal.