Meredith Greenberg
Meredith Greenberg
  • Redondo Beach, CA

Upcycling a Goodwill Find-Old Storage Shelf Turned Entry-Way Shelf

$20

I thought I would share with you a fun and easy way to upcycle a drab bathroom storage shelf and re-purpose it for whatever your living situation needs.
For example, I live on the second level of an apartment building, but my front door is on the 1st level at the bottom of a flight of stairs (very townhouse-like). There really isn't room for any sort of entry table to put anything. SO I had to problem solve. I went to my local Goodwill and found this random wall mounting storage shelf usually used in bathrooms, but I decided to get creative!
To see the step-by-step tutorial, please check out my blog!
Look at this lovely Goodwill find I found! An old wall mounting storage piece that would typically go in a bathroom as additional storage. I am transforming it into an entryway shelf to hang my bags, keys, mail etc. :)
I masked off the areas that I did not want to paint the Pewter color I chose with blue painters tape. Splurge for the tape that doesn't allow ANY PAINT to get past its seal.
I decided to re-purpose an old Marilyn Monroe Poster I had to tie in the shelf with the rest of my "Marilyn-themed" stairwell entryway.
Only a few more steps to go. I did this project in steps over a few weeks, only because I was waiting on a saw to remove the wooden dowel on this piece.
Success!! I was able to remove the dowel, and then use wood putty to fill in the holes. I let this wood putty cure overnight before sanding and painting it pewter like the rest of the piece.
I purchased this wall hook mount at Lowes for about $5 and installed it after I hung the shelf on the wall. I was so excited that it fit perfectly!
Ta-DAHHHH! It come out just as I hoped it would! Now it is a wonderful accent piece on my wall in my entryway and I have somewhere to put all my stuff when I get home from work! SUCCESS!

Meredith Greenberg

• Working for Goodwill Industries of Northern IL, I love when others re-purpose and re-use! We receive many great items that need a good home! With love and ideas, what's not love about this! Way to go, woman! ;-)

• Susan Bechamp

I repurposed an old spice rack to hold my K-cup coffee pods. It holds 12 pods = to a small box of coffee pods. The dainty doors will eventually be lined with copper mesh to diffuse the view of what’s inside. I am thinking about making another one for my daughters using some old jewelry cabinets that I inherited . They will need a bit more work on the inside to accommodate new purpose, or I might use one for all the small bits and pieces in my sewing room.