Laura
by Laura

Inexpensive Christmas Decor

This is an easy and inexpensive way to make large jingle bells to decorate your home for the holidays.
I purchased several large rubber bouncy balls at Walmart and the same number of Hula-Hoops.
Any Hula-Hoop will do, just make sure it will fit around the rubber ball.
Run your fingers along the outside until you find the "bump" where you can feel where the hula-hoop is connected together. Begin to peel back the decorative tape.
Keep the connector on the inside of the hoop on one end and cut the other end until it fits snuggly around the ball. Once you have wrapped the hula-hoop around the center of the ball, put a small amount of super glue on the connector and reconnect.
It should look like this at this point.
Spray paint a metallic gold. You are starting to see it now, right?
After the gold spray paint has dried, paint four black matte circles close to the hula-hoop. then bring the black down to a point until you reach the top of the ball. I freehanded this.
What you get are some very beautiful, large jingle bells that are perfect to decorate your home for the holidays! Talk about bang for your buck!
Aren't they adorable? You could do silver and make a Polar Express Theme or put them around the outside of your house (although I would seal coat them for that.) There are so many possibilities!

• Goldie

I see in your picture that you have the balls sitting on something to dry. What did you use to hold them still and not roll off? Also how many coats of paint did you use? Thank you and I love this idea!

• Robin

Looks like painters tape

• Laura

Hi! So glad you like it! I just put them on rolls of duct tape! It worked perfectly. I spray painted the top let it dry and then painted the bottom. I did three coats in total and that seemed to cover them. They actually dried fairly quickly. Good luck!

• Lavonne Pittman

Could you have used plastic pipe hose from the hardware store instead of the hulahoops? Probably would have been more cost effective. Use just a piece of dowel to connect them.

• Lisa

Great job honey, thank you for sharing! How much do you think it cost to make the three bells?

• Lisa Brandon

$ 12.00 to $ 15.00

• Rosa B

Your could probably get both the balls and hoops at the dollar store quite a bit cheaper than Walmart.

• Lisa

Thank you guys !!!

• Marilyn Zaruba

I need those to hang above the gable over my front porch. Now to convince Speed Bump (hubbie) to help me. Beautiful job on your part.

• Leigh Connell

Love the nickname!

• Judy Fussell

I am crafty & creative but not a bit artistic so free handing the black wouldn't work for me. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

• Laura

I would measure the diameter of the ball divide it by four and mark it for each fourth. Then I would make a 3" circle on a piece of paper, cut it out, and trace it on the ball. Then I would trace the part that tapers starting about an inch and 1/2 from the bottom of the circle and taper down to a point that should end about 2 inches from the center. I hope this helps!!

• Judy Fussell

Thanks!!!

• Paula Slatton

I did something like too/ but i painted the black first/ then painted the gould or silver.

• Sue

You could use paper plate, regular size for large size ball or dessert size for smaller ball to make your circle and a sharpie marker to draw around outside of plate. Use a string or piece of yarn taped to top of circle and at angle distance placement as a guide to make triangles.

• Linda Naletko

I'm thinking about cutting out the template and spray painting the insides black, stuffing that section closed once the black dries then placing the hula hoop and spraying gold. I love these things! If it works, will share.

• Kirsty Merrell

Would black duct tape or some other sticker stuff work?

• Marz

Just draw an opening on a sheet of paper wh8le looking at a bell to get an idea of the shape. Cut out and use as a template. Mark (trace around the outside edges of the template) with a Sharpie and then just paint the inside.

• Luv10504944

Pour some paint in a old flat pan of some kind... cookie sheet, glass ware, etc... Then decide how large you want your circles and find a matching size by searching your cabinets or refrigerator... bottom of butter bowl, pickle or mason jar, glass, plastic bowl, etc. Then dip the bottom of your chosen circle container into the thin layer of paint in the flat dish/pan. Now press it onto the ball. You could also cut a circle out of a sponge, or cardboard and use that as well to stamp a circle on there. Just make sure paint isn't dropping.

• If you wanted to use these outside what would you suggest coating them with?

• Millie Giegler

Rustolium has a clear poly spray paint or any clear poly paint would work just make sure it's rated for outdoor use.

• Carolyn Hyde

YEs Rustolium clear coat. Make sure to cover well. This will protect from the outside elements. We did this for some cheap plastic bells we bought at the dollar store and they have lasted for more than 10 years

• Lynn

I have tried spray painting these plastic balls to make large ornaments and the spray paint never dried, it remained sticky - what type of spray paint did you use?

• Paula Slatton

you realy need to use the paint ment for plastic. I found it works best. Also spray hair spray on the paint it helps it dry better.

• Lynn

Great help thank you so much!

• Lynn

Great help thank you so much!

• Karen

Absolutely adorable! Fantastic job, Laura! Karen

• Annie Wiens Oper

So cute! Next year for sure

• Pam15146480

So clI will hang them from our trees in our yard. Thank you for a great post, merry Christmas!

• Pam15146480

Ooops meant so cute,

• Barbara

They have spray paint specifically for plastic. Learned that the hard way.

• Jil13249621

we live in cold cold MN. Would the plastic balls shrink in the -20 below temps if I placed them on my porch? Jill DDK

• Shawna Bailey

I think they would.

• Cheryl Gillman

You could probly use large Styrofoam balls rather than bouncy balls, or (a little more expensive) go to a pet store and buy the balls for hampsters/rats etc, then you could even put real bells inside to get the sound if you put them outside like hanging from a tree like a windchime type thing:)

• Doreen

Amazing!!!!! Was the hula hoops filled with tiny rocks?? I got them from the dollar store for a project & there was rocks in it to make the noise.

• Dot

Great Idea. Did you attach something to the top (I see a band in photo) to form a way to tie the balls to arrangement? I want to use outdoors. This is so cool!
    • Bob31595198

I am using gold duck tape to form a loop at the top of the ball.
  • Randi Russell

Why didn't you get your hula hoops at the Dollar Tree for a buck?
    • Judy Dove

I personally haven't seen Hula Hoops at the Dollar Store. Also, their merchandise is rather seasonal -- you probably wouldn't find them there until closer to spring, even though they can be used all year.
    • Susan

they have them year round here (Arkansas)

• Mol28798571

Walmart had em for $1.50
  • Chris

It is amazing to experience the sheer genius of just thinking of this to start with. How did you ever look at a large rubber ball and a hula hoop and see a bell?
  • Kimberly Hartley

Why the hula hoops? Are they just for looks? It looks like you can make the balls without the hula hoop.
    • Tricia

One thing I'm noticing is that the balls won't roll as easily with the hoop on them. This would make them much easier to place and arrange.
    • Kimberly Hartley

That's true! Very helpful, thank you!
    • Mar29258965

If you've ever looked at real bells, of this type, you will see a seam in the middle of the bell. The hula hoop is simulating that seam. I think they look great.
    • Kimberly Hartley

They do look great! I was just wondering if they served a necessary functionality that I had missed. Thank you for clearing that up for me!
    • Elizabeth

These are so BRILLIANT - I feel so happy to know there’s all this creativity around me. Wish when I was younger and active I had found this site
    • Elizabeth Nice

Betsy, up above, asked if rope around the middle could be used. I said, why not. Then you could use smaller balls. More uses.
      Elizabeth
    • Kristine M. Holmgren

Rope would have a texture not appreciated in this (hula hoop) version. I think the hula hoop idea is brilliant! Well done, little holiday elf, Laura!
    • Jeanne Standerford

A
      Add strings of lights where the hoop is and add more appeal!!!!!!
  • Shelley

Do they really jingle?
    Haha. Just kidding.
    Really cute idea! I’m always looking for inexpensive, “larger then life” decorations for outside. Thank you!
  • Betsy Glenn Chuhran

Couldn't you use rope around the middle?
    • Elizabeth Nice

I don't see why not. Great idea! Tie it good and tight. You could use smaller balls too! Different sizes. Different places to use them!
      Thanks Betsy☺
      Elizabeth
  • Janet Doscher

Could you use an old smooth garden hose with plastic pipe fittings to contact it together?
  • Lillian

How did you get the hula hoops on without them bending. Mine are bending any suggestions
  • Stella

does the paint chip off the balls?