Yvette Gray
Yvette Gray
  • San Diego, CA

Farmhouse Coffee Pantry & French Armoire From Curbside Junk

I found some outdated 80's style curbside cabinets and an ugly coffee table for free and transformed them into a"mostly" French inspired armoire and buffet area using homemade chalk paint and five lovely graphics from one of my favorite sites Karen - The Graphics Fairy. (Sorry for the picture quality as my camera is on the fritz so these were taken with my cell phone)
This is the final result.  An ugly coffee table turned into a french buffet and two outdated cabinets become functional pantries.
This is the final result. An ugly coffee table turned into a french buffet and two outdated cabinets become functional pantries.
This was a curbside former entertainment center that had seen better days. Someone punched out the back of one for a tv. I decided to make them into two separate armoires. One a "farmhouse style coffee and spice pantry" and the other a "French Armoire."
Another before shot
Another before shot
This was another free curbside old coffee table from the 80s I believe. Ugly!  It reminded me of Midieval Times. The diamond pattern on the doors gave me my inspiration.  I decided to go with a harlequin design.
This was another free curbside old coffee table from the 80s I believe. Ugly! It reminded me of Midieval Times. The diamond pattern on the doors gave me my inspiration. I decided to go with a harlequin design.
This was the top view of ugly coffee table.  Do you see a mysterious word in the wood pattern like I do?  Creepy! (This table is a previous project so I'll post a tutorial in the near future).
This was the top view of ugly coffee table. Do you see a mysterious word in the wood pattern like I do? Creepy! (This table is a previous project so I'll post a tutorial in the near future).
This is now the top to that ugly coffee table.  The entire table was hand painted with MMS Milk Paint in Linen and acrylic paints, then antiqued and distressed.
This is now the top to that ugly coffee table. The entire table was hand painted with MMS Milk Paint in Linen and acrylic paints, then antiqued and distressed.
I removed the glass panels to the front doors of the two cabinets and hand painted the fronts of the glass with an acrylic paint pen. All the graphics I used in this project came from The Graphics Fairy.
After the painted graphics dried, I then frosted the backside of the glass with Rustoleum's Frosted Glass spray.  I used 3  coats, letting each coat dry before beginning the next.
After the painted graphics dried, I then frosted the backside of the glass with Rustoleum's Frosted Glass spray. I used 3 coats, letting each coat dry before beginning the next.
This is what the coffee pantry looked like after painting it white with homemade chalk paint, distressing it and adding chickenwire to the bottom door and the back where I had to rip out the damaged back panel on this cabinet.
This is the inside of the coffee pantry.  You can see the chicken wire back panel.
This is the inside of the coffee pantry. You can see the chicken wire back panel.
I added this lovely graphic to the back wall of the lower compartment of the pantry to give it some character.  Fortunately, the back panel was still intact in this area so I didn't need to replace it.
I added this lovely graphic to the back wall of the lower compartment of the pantry to give it some character. Fortunately, the back panel was still intact in this area so I didn't need to replace it.
Now it serves as storage for my juicer.
Now it serves as storage for my juicer.
This is what the Coffee Pantry looked like when it was completed. I built two small tables to set the cabinets on to give them height, make them more attractive, and to flow with the buffet which I had added legs to previously.
Here is the frosted glass door to the French Armoire.  (Sorry about the flash in the glass).
Here is the frosted glass door to the French Armoire. (Sorry about the flash in the glass).
The back of the French Armoire was in great shape, so I added an white embossed wallpaper to it, as well as the front lower door, and gave it a wash of gray so the embossing would pop and to give it more of a french feel.
I then added this lovely french perfume graphic to the inside of the lower door.
Of course I need to hand paint an old window with a chalk pen for a finishing touch between the cabinets.

• Susan

Do you share your recipe for homemade chalk paint? Love what you created!

• Cindy

This is beautiful as well as crafty... Great ideas

• Jen carey

I would love to know more about the graphics. Are they rub on decals?

• Shawna Bailey

She writes that she hand paints them on but the graphics come from the graphics fairy.

• Linda J. Caristo

Love, love. love what you did to this cabinet. How did you copy design to the doors with a pen. amazing. love it. L.Caristo