Built In Bookshelves From Closet Organizers!

18K Views
Bookshelves that look like built ins but for a fraction of the cost. My secret? Put together closet organizers!
Time: 6 HoursCost: $175Difficulty: Easy
  • built in bookshelves from closet organizers, home decor, living room ideas, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
My bookshelves are actually closet organizers! The space they are in was narrow, and finding the right bookshelves was difficult.
Solution? I purchased two closet organizers from Home Depot, made by Closet Maid. Be sure to have all your tools you will need within reach. It can be very frustrating, and interrupt your concentration if you have to go searching for a tool mid-project.
This is the assembled closet organizer. The surface is very slick. You will want to rough it up with 220 grit sand paper and prime before you paint. I used Zinnser Spray Primer. Be sure to paint the under side of the upper shelving.
Here are the pieces pre-assembly. You can paint each piece before or after assembly. If you paint before, you will definitely be doing touch up, but overall this may be easier.
All painted and ready for installation. I used CeCe Caldwell's Pittsburgh Grey and Vintage White. I used 3 coats of hard wearing Cece Caldwell's Endurance to seal the finish.
Here is the right side of my built in. Installed and filled with my favorite books!

Suggested materials for this project:

Redoux Interiors