DIY Essential Oil Dish Soap

If you haven't noticed, I'm trying to go green in my home, and I'm excited for this project. I certainly don't want to eat off of my dishes with weird ingredients I can't pronounce, so I decided to make a natural dish soap. This stuff not only makes you feel better about washing your dishes, but smells good and it WORKS! This sudsy essential oil dish soap works great against grease and tough foods while also eliminating bacteria, and it can be customized to the scent you want! Talk about a win-win!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:
-Baking Soda
-Water
-Soap Dispenser (You can buy this adorable amber soap dispenser here on Amazon.)
-Pure Castile Soap (Unscented)
-Vegetable Glycerin
-Tea Tree Oil
-Grapefruit Oil
-Health Guard Oil

STEP 1: Pour 1 1/4 Cup Water into a bowl.

STEP 2: Pour 3/4 cup of pure-castile soap into the bowl with the water.

STEP 3: Pour 2 Tbsp. vegetable glycerin into the mix. I've always found it hard to find vegetable glycerin, so I bought it off of Amazon.

STEP 4: Dump a nice tsp. of baking soda into the bowl.

STEP 5: Drop about 6 drops of grapefruit oil in as well.
(This is where you can start to customize your soap a bit according to the scent you would like.) I got this grapefruit oil from Amazon, but I also like this essential oil pack that has a variety of scents.

STEP 6: Though you can customize your oil scents for the soap, all should have a good health shield or on guard oil added to help eliminate bacteria. Add 4-6 drops of this. Again, this is a unique product, so I got mine on Amazon for a good price.

STEP 7: To help eliminate grease add 4 drops of tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has a ton of benefits, and they're great for getting rid of grease. You can check out this whole selection of types on Amazon.

STEP 8: Mix your concoction up and you will start to see it sudsing up! Remove the pump from your soap dispenser and pour the mixture through a funnel into your soap bottle.

Now you are all ready to get some dishes done! Isn't this soap bottle adorable?! I got it on Amazon, and I love it!

Look at all those suds! I know initially getting all these ingredients can feel expensive compared to just grabbing a bottle of Palmolive or Dawn, but you barely use any of the ingredients for a pretty substantial batch and have loads left over for the future. You also have to consider all the great benefits of going green!

• Baking Soda  (Key Food)
  • Pure-Castile Soap Unscented  (Whole Foods)
  • <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Glycerin-Vegetable-Kosher-USP-Quart/dp/B004C7MTLA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1488102559&sr=8-2&keywords=vegetable+glycerine&linkCode=ll1&tag=ctbr-amanda27907543-20&linkId=9b90e3043b7c3bf259d08082fe561f31" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Glycerin Vegetable Kosher USP</a>  (Amazon)

• Crafty Girl

Every time I have added baking soda to a liquid mixture and put it in a pump or spray bottle, the baking soda collects on the bottom and clogs the dispenser.

• Chris Keating-Ingelse

I've tried using just plain Castile soap as a hand soap for the bathroom, but it's too watery to use in a pump bottle. Does the glycerin help to thicken it a bit?
  • Gail Mattson

Can you just use a left over for example Dawn bottle?

• Kelcie Brain

Some oils are toxic to birds, research first... I just use baking soda, water and vinegar
  • Megan Torrie

Organic Veg Glycerin is useful in MANY APPLICATIONS! One of my fav uses (aside from diy cosmetics & moisturizers) is to use 1tsp per batch of home made popsicles!!! Freezing pureed fruits & natural juices is always tasty & fun but the difference between an ice pop & a popsicle (including those freeze-at-home slurpee packs) is just a small amount of organic food grade vegetable glycerin.

• Please be VERY AWARE when buying glycerins. You cannot & should not consume or apply any glycerins that are not food grade. 👍 Safety First 😊