The Garden Stamp
The Garden Stamp
  • Frederick, MD

Eggshell Seed Starting

$10.00

Last year we had great luck starting tomato and pepper seeds inside eggs. This year we've added reusable crates, eggplants and a twist: color. A little organic food coloring and the simple act of planting seeds goes a long way to chase away the winter doldrums. Here's how we did it in four easy steps.
Jenn
www.gardenstamp.com
new year s seed starting, gardening
new year s seed starting, gardening, Our first planted seedlings of 2014 nest comfortably on the radiator
Our first planted seedlings of 2014 nest comfortably on the radiator.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Peppers n Eggs from 2013 Hoping to achieve the same great results this year
Peppers n' Eggs from 2013. Hoping to achieve the same great results this year.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Step 1 Prep the eggs Pop the tops empty and rinse them thoroughly
Step 1. Prep the eggs. Pop the tops, empty and rinse them thoroughly.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Step 2 Bathe and tint the shells in hot water spiked with organic food coloring
Step 2. Bathe and tint the shells in hot water spiked with organic food coloring.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Brown vs white eggs account for the difference in shades
Brown vs white eggs account for the difference in shades.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Step 3 Spoon in your soil or growing media
Step 3. Spoon in your soil or growing media.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Step 4 Plant seeds near the very top cover gently and water
Step 4. Plant seeds near the very top, cover gently and water.

• Diana

Can I put them on the floor heater..do u water them a lot? Best way to take top off?

• Carol

Why can't you just crack an egg in half, that way you have 2 to start seeds, plus it's easier to take the eggs out of the shells. There would still be enough room for the soil right?

• Margaret Rabbetts

you need depth to allow the roots to grow, half of the egg shell would not give any room for the roots to gain strength .

• Debbie Martinsen

Did you plant the eggshell in the ground with the plant when you transplanted it or did you break the plant out of the egg first?

• Lou

I used to do this for my kids' teachers at Easter. We put flower seeds in the eggshells and used little baskets lined with Easter grass. The teachers loved them.

• Marilyn

I love this idea! Wish I'd thought of it when my kids were young; they would have loved it, too! I would love to try it.