Updating Our Dining Room on a $350 Budget

$350

I did not want to waste alot of money on the dining room (since technically we don't like to formally eat anyways) but still wanted to have the dining room look filled and inviting  , just in case we have guests.

So this was our dining room before we started, there really wasn't much to it. The first thing we did along with most of the rest of the house is to paint and lay down the tile throughout. After that, it was a matter of getting a dining room set, lighting, and decorations to make it feel more... homey, without breaking the bank!

We hunted for a bigger table (I wanted to be able to seat at least 8) and came up on this listing on Craigslist for $60, so I went ahead and bought the table. FIrst thing we did was sand the table down so we can get it painted.

After sanding it down, I painted the top of the table with our leftover exterior house paint (LOL) which was a dark grey Behr Paint, and for the legs I did a general white Behr Paint.

I purchased 8 MCM chairs from ebay at $25 a piece. Also got some placemats and decorations from IKEA. Bought a chandelier from eBay for about $50. I also purchased a cool contemporary clock from eBay for about $40.

The room still feels quite bare, so I decided to put a pallet accent wall. We got the pallets for free from our workplace and started working on it.

Using a nail gun, we nailed the pallets into the wall. This was the wall when its done.

TIP: Nail pallets into the studs of the wall :] it will hold it in place much better.

And this is our dining room! I found a painting someone threw away and decided to put it on the left side of the wall by the dining room.

Here is our breakdown cost:

Dining Table: $60

Dining Chairs (8): $200

Chandelier: $50

Clock: $40

TA-DAAA! Simple, bright and hopefully a mix of modern and rustic :]

Here is the before and after picture

We put in a bookcase too on the left and added an industrial light instead of a modern chandelier.

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July

• Wyldecent

After all that work, and how nice it looks, do you find yourselves using the dining room now?

• Beverly

Do you have any ideas for a small bar height table for the kitchen using pallets. I’m interested in something I can use with two stools. I love love all of your projects. Any ideas?

• Debra Meade

You did an awesome job. It is a beautiful room. How hard was it to do the pallet wall?

• Dessya Palit

Pretty easy once you get the woods out of those pallet :] that was the hardest part until we figure out using a plug in sawzall works the best. We tried prying it out, and just about everything under the sun before realizing the sawzall is the best thing you can do to get those woods out!

• Teresa

Well done! It look great!

• Shelbea

Really like the table update and your choice of chairs. While the wood plank wall isn't something I would put in my home, it is a nice accent and definitely breaks up the "blah". Great job!

I would definitely use this room as an "alternate office" for a change of scenery.