Eclectic Red Barn
Eclectic Red Barn
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

Inexpensive Shovel for Mom's Garden

If your mom loves gardening and plants, make her a Mother’s Day garden decoration perfect for displaying in her yard!
Get the kids involved with this and Mom will love it.
inexpensive shovel for mom s garden
Step 1: What you will need:
 - Large plastic garden shovel, available at toy store or Dollar Tree
 - Waterproof decorations: artificial flowers, ribbons, stickers, small garden toys, shells, pebbles, pine cones, or other items from outdoors
 - Scissors
- Wooden or foam rectangle sign
- Acrylic paints and paintbrushes or sharpie permanent markers
- Hot glue gun
inexpensive shovel for mom s garden
Step 2: Gathered all of your supplies, you are ready to decorate.
What You Do:
1. Have your child collect items from outdoors for some decor, such as shells, pebbles, pine cones, or twigs.
2. Have her/him use sharpies or acrylic paints and paintbrushes to decorate a sign for the shovel. It could say “Mom’s Garden” or anything your child would like to write for a Mother’s Day gift!
inexpensive shovel for mom s garden
Step 3: Have your child bring out her nature collection from step 1. She can place decorations where she’d like them, and an adult can help her hot glue or tie the decorations to the plastic shovel.
I added this butterfly although I don't think it will hold up in too much rain. I have a protected bed that this will work in.
inexpensive shovel for mom s garden
Step 4: Help your child put hot glue in the middle of the back of the wood or foam sign and press it down somewhere below the shovel’s handle. Let the glue dry before the next step.

Step

Step 5:
inexpensive shovel for mom s garden
Step 5: Ribbon can be used to tie on items, for example around the shovel’s handle. I attached some plastic flowers and outdoor ribbon.
inexpensive shovel for mom s garden
Step 6: These inexpensive shovels with make Mom smile and look great iin her garden.

• Plastic shovel  (Dollar Tree)
Eclectic Red Barn

• Jewellmartin

So cute! This shovel would look great inside or outside of a back door. Would you do anything different if you were decorating a real or toy watering can or beach toys? Best wishes.

• Eclectic Red Barn

I agree that it could easily be hung on a door. Great idea. Would I do anything different. I have some vintage watering cans so I would not want to glue anything to them, although you could add flowers and other decor. You could glue to a toy watering can. If you were worried about items that you attached, I suggest you spray them with a clear lacquer to protect them.
      Bev