DIY Wood Sign Using Paint Sticks

51K Views
We’ve repainted our house so many times that we have endless paint buckets and a ton of paint sticks laying around. I’ve been really into wood signs that are all over Pinterest and then came across one with paint sticks and H A D to test it out. This cost me NOTHING - yup, free as can be since I have everything already!
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
Lay your paint sticks with the writing facing up - this will be the backside!
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
You don't need to but I wanted to even out these pieces so I cut them down with my Ryobi wireless saw.
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
Sand down the rough edges if you do cut them down.
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
Grab two other paint sticks and line them vertically/properly spaced out depending on your sign's size. This will secure all the pieces together!
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
Use wood glue and place them on the back of the board.
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
I used two weights to ensure that they do not move while drying. Let these dry completely!
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
Flip it over and now you have a blank canvas! I spray painted mine white but you can stain it if you'd like. Grab some paint and add whatever detail you heart desires!
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
I wanted to make it look more finished so I measured the edges and grabbed an extra piece of wood that I cut down with my Ryobi table saw to fit around it - like a frame! If you have an old frame that you don't use anymore and it fits, use that.
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
  • diy wood sign using paint sticks
I am dedicating my Monday's to showing you guys just how quick, easy and cheap DIY's can be but they don't have to look cheap! Have a great week my beautiful Hometalk family - be sure to follow me on Instagram for more creativity.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Paint sticks  (Hardware Store)
  • Wood glue  (Hardware Store)
  • Saw (optional)  (Around the house)
Rachel Metz

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question