Antique Fireplace Mantel Before and After

When we moved into our 1908 farmhouse, I loved the charm so much. However, there was SO much dark wood. If you're someone who would never paint it, avert your eyes for I'm about to share how I lightened the space on this Farmhouse Fireplace Makeover!
There are many architectural details in this house and it's one of the main reasons I wanted to move here. I saw the potential. But I'm a gal who loves paint and light and bright spaces. I decorated the mantel after moving in and lived with it for a while before deciding to paint it.

See more from this post at http://www.junquecottage.com/2017/05/13/farmhouse-fireplace/
I started by cleaning it really well.
Here's what it looked like before I started. It was pretty and I had already added some white paint to front facing brick, but it needed something more.
I used black rustoleum paint in flat black on the brick.
Here's what it looks like after the paint was done. Much better.
I added some milk paint to the wood, removed the mantle mirror and changed up the decor to be a little more simplistic.
Here she is completed!

• Rustoleum Flat Black   (Home Depot)
  • Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint   (Miss Mustard Seed)
Laura Stewart Blog

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

3 of 7 comments
Next