Leah Fried
Leah Fried
  • Hometalk Team
  • West Orange, NJ

My Old Desk Drawers Turned Into... Great Planters!

$10

Well, that's the way it started... In the last year we renovated our house and there are too many things that are still waiting in our backyard to be reused (good luck with that.. ).

my old desk drawers turned into great planters
So, there's my desk that I used to do my homework on as a kid. It was already in a bad shape, but still, it was too hard to through away. Then one day I had this idea to turn the drawers into...planters!
Step 1: Unscrew the drawer top

Step 2: Order all the boxes together after removing the top
Step 3: Drill holes for the water to come out (My husband was so proud of me for actually using this drill...  )
Step 4: Paint the drawers with a wood paint -- I used a very very light green
Tadada!

Step 5: Let the drawers dry out in the sun for an hour

Step 6: In the mean time, buy some herbs and flowers
Step 7: Fill the boxes with some soil
Step 8: Start planting
So cute! I was so proud
Step 9: Finish planting and setting the boxes in a way you love
Step 10: Lay the water pipe on the side
Step 11: Make sure the water line won't slip
And last... a question for you all : What should I make from the drawer fronts? Please let me know if you have any idea- I promise to share the results with you

• Wanda K

I like this idea. Of course it's a great way to re purpose things, which I also love. I would have place some small river stones or stones on the bottom, before putting the soil in. Also do you plans for using them a long time: Did you use waterproof paint>

• Nannette maggitti

What did you do to keep boxes from rpttening out?

• Cynthia Bush Justice

Cute but how will you keep the wood from rotting? I would have painted the inside with waterproof paint or the stuff they use in basements to keep moisture out. Another idea is to put plastic liners in them for same reason.

• Annette Herrera

Attach the drawer fronts to a 1x4, repaint and attach to the wall. the knobs can be used to hang purses, dried herbs, or hats, depending on the depth or take the knobs off and do a reverse picture frame. Use a darker color on the inside edge of the drawer and attach your pic in the center. In my house, I would use them for "to do" lists and attach a clip to them so they can hold a small pad of paper or they would make great trivets for hot dishes or candles or coasters for drinks...just use felt or cork so furniture doesn't get scratched.

• Fiddlestixs

Paint the drawer fronts fun colors or decoupage, keep the knobs for hat, coat, work gloves, etc. hangers once you place/hang them where you want.