Jenny Tease
Jenny Tease
  • Tutorial Team
  • Australia

Balinese Stone Mosaic Bathroom Renovation

$500

I found a great buy of stone tiles 90% however I had never tiled before now. The good thing with these tiles is that they are rough so being perfect isn't needed. I started with removing old wall tiles around the bath and walls then a little tidy up of that area smoothing any bumps or removing peeling wall.
balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
Remove all tiles and clean the area and remove any loose material.  Vacuum the area to remove all dust .

balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
Next step is to mix up the adhesive then cover the back of each tile one at a time and place on the ready prepared wall . Work your way through till you have all of the tiles on the wall if they are square tiles make sure you leave a small gap for grout.

balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
Set for a 2-3 days (directions will be on the adhesive for how long to wait as it varies which each company) . 
If using natural stone it is good to do a top coat of a sealer to prevent any of the grout.

balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
Then purchase the colour grout you would like to use. For mine I used a white grout for my light tiles and will purchase a black/dark grey for the dark tiles. Again follow the instructions to mix up what you require and using a sponge rub into all gaps to fill in , wiping down as you go with a damp cloth and rinsing after every wipe so you keep the cloth clean. Once you're done let the grout set again as per instructions on the bag. Wait 2-3 days and make sure you seal the wall. Here are some pics, I am up to my grouting :) I will post pics in a few days of the end result. As for the floor, my tiles wouldn't budge so I searched online and apparently you can put tiles on top of existing tiles so that makes my job a whole lot easier! I just had to make sure all tiles were in great shape and sanded to rough up the surface using a 80 grit sandpaper on a grinder. 
balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
If you purchase stone tiles, make sure to wipe down the tile in the store, because that is what the tile will look like when you are finished.
balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
Here is a pic of what it looks like once the grout is added I then waited a few days then sealed with a concrete stone sealer and then the sealer only took a couple of hours to dry
balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
on the edges I added a stainless steal trim and this really made a neat edge to finish off :) you can get one that can be put in just after flying the tiles down and they just pop on I didn't realise that till later so this was jut a 5 mm L shape trim I used adhesive to attach this part pictured in the edge of the shower
balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
floor area and bath grouted and sealed by sealing it also makes it easier to clean up grout and gives a nice shine and brings out the detail the natural stone :)
balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
Here is a photo of me tiling on top of tiles as mine were to hard to get up on the floor but I did use electric grinder with sand paper attached to ruff up the surface of the old tile before flying down the new tile
balinese stone mosaic bathroom reno
i bought a new drain cover from hardware store to cover the old

• Linda S.

Just curious as to why you have a drain in the middle of your bathroom floor?

• Mark

In Australia we don't have overflow holes in our baths or vanities.

• Kate

Did you tile over the floor tile?

• Jenny Tease

Yes I did if you click on my profile I show how to do that it can be done quite easily

• Wendy Bressler Baranak

A drain in the middle of the floor??? Just wondering...

• Jenny Tease

Love the drain in our bathroom floor great for moping also or overflowed bath tubs lol

• Brenda Lahey

I am practically 'speechless'! Honestly, I believe your project is the most beautiful one I have ever seen on Hometalk by far. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!

• L. Creative

I like it! And that drain cover is gorgeous!