Inexpensive Window and Door Trim Ideas

$50
3 Months

My home was built in 1978 and we have been doing some updating. I had very cheap walnut stained door trim and my windows only had sills. The baseboards were all walnut stained too. All the flooring is now either tile or laminate wood. Goodbye lime green/rust carpet and harvest gold lino! When we added new trim we did not have a lot of money to spend on molding so we used 1 x 4 pine lumber.
Had to keep the walnut as there are walnut beams but the doorway and closets have this type of design.
On this window decided to match the ship-lap that we used on the wall.
This doorway and others have this technique. You can either buy the kits precut or you can buy the reed boards and decorative squares separately.
This is using the 1 x 4 pine. Sanded and painted before putting up with finishing nails.
These cute flowers are wood and put on with liquid nails. I used them at the top of each window and the closet.
The bottom matches the top design. We didn't cut the sill, but probably should have.
This is in my third bedroom. I found squares instead of flowers and used them on the window and closet.
Really inexpensive trim. Time flies when you're having DIY fun.

This is my pantry door in the kitchen. I used a daisy this time. Since I painted the walls yellow I painted the center of the flower.
You can find all kinds of decorative wood trim.
More decorative trim. Really adds interest to the plain board.
I really do like my inexpensive trim.
No room on this doorway for the caps but I did match the pantry door decal.

Perhaps you have some updating to do?

I can't really give an estimate of cost and time as it was ongoing time wise and cost would be whatever the current charge is for lumber and decals. I do know that the cost is much less than fancy molding!

• 1 x 4 pine boards  (Home improvement store)
  • Wood decals  (Home improvement store)
  • Finishing nails, liquid nails  (Home improvement store)

• Liz

I see materials say $50 did u just get the pine board and cut yourself I have 4 windows I need to do and don't want to spend 100s. Ur look great

• Lovesunique

Hi Liz. All done with pine and my husband installed. I painted and stained the boards before putting up. Touch up after mounting.

• Jim Cox

I just started the same thing at my house. Taking time to choose 1x4s is worth it :) (above sill - before; below sil - after)

• Lovesunique

I like it. Farmhouse style I would say. I agree; sorting through the 2x4's is tedious. There's a lot of junk thrown in!