Paint Stirrer Shelf Makeover

We had a bland white ikea shelf in our bathroom for extra storage and I got an idea for a makeover! It started with my love for planked walls, but then took a right turn to this finished product with some painters tape. Cost? $0. Paint stirrers, gorilla glue, stain and craft paint! For detailed step by step, check out my blog!
Can you believe this started as a boring white Ikea shelf?
This is a standard Ikea Billy bookshelf. We needed storage in our small little bathroom and this fit that corner perfectly. But it wasn't very interesting in my opinion.
I went around to a few different paint stores and asked them if I could have some extra paint stirrers... as many as they felt comfortable giving. :) Only took a few different paint stores to get enough to cover the bookshelf... I lucked out because they fit the depth of the shelf perfectly so no cutting required.
I used gorilla clue to attach them and made sure some heavy books weighed them down... then I went over first with a gray Minwax stain, and then some watered down white craft paint for a wash. And finally a dry brush with some chalk paint.
But it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for... it seemed a little... 'crafty'. I grabbed some painters tape and started marking off a simple graphic pattern.
I painted in the triangles by hand once I had the rows taped off, and it didn't take long at all.
I screwed some hooks back onto the shelf, and it's MUCH more fun than the previous drab white version.
And... did I mention, it was free!!!

At Charlotte's House