Kitchen Table Redo - Part 2 - Butcher Block IKEA Hack

$400

After my beloved granite tile table became damaged in our move to Virginia, I tried to replace the granite tiles with marble tiles. When the marble tiles became stained and began to crumble, I needed a quick and easy solution. But this time I wanted the replacement to last for years. I spent a lot of time researching a family friendly table top. I finally decided on a butcher block island top. I hope it will look beautiful and last for years to come. The butcher block was about $370, tung oil $10 and new orbital sander was $20. I already had the base so I didn't buy anything for that.

kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
My over all plan was to remove the table top and reuse the apron and legs for the new table top. First, I removed the tiles from the top of my table. I then removed the screws from the braces holding the table top to the table apron. This is "When best laid plans ... go awry." I thought it would easily lift off but there must be adhesive holding it together as well. Another time, we will try to separate the top from the base but now was not the time. In the final pictures you will see what we are temporarily using for a base.
kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
Here is the Lumber Liquidators description of the Butcher Block Island Top that I purchased. They had cheaper butcher blocks and I think this was the most expensive but worth every penny. I just loved the look of this particular butcher block.
kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
Here is our temporary base solution for a base for our table. Even though these look like IKEA shelves, these are from Walmart. I have a long IKEA Kallax shelf that I am going to swap these out for. The Kallax will provide a few more inches of leg room for the people who are sitting at the ends.
kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
You can place them in different ways to suit your needs. To seat six people this works the best for my family.
kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
I used this sander and a variety of sand papers from 180 to 220 and then 000 steel wool to get it a bit smoother. There are many ways that you can finish and seal the butcher block. I spent a lot of time reading about these and you should too.
kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
I used heavy gloves and Tung Oil to seal the butcher block top. I put on three coats. This is the first coat going on. I waited 24 hours in between coats for the oil to dry. I just used a sock to apply it like applying car wax to a car. I waited 10 minutes and removed any excess oil with another sock. Use fresh cloths for each coat. If you feel any roughness in areas in between coats, you can use a wet green scrubbie and just kind of buff it away. I found that tip floating around the internet.
kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
This picture was taken after the second coat.

kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
And here is the table after the third coat of tung oil.
kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
I love the storage below. I plan to use black wrought iron shelf supports to secure the top to the base but I haven't found any yet.
kitchen table redo part 2 butcher block
I know it is a lot more expensive than a lot of the DIY farm tables that are out there but it is just what I was looking for. I love how smooth the top is. I think this will last a long time.

• Butcher block island top  (Lumber Liquidators)
  • 4 cube shelf  (Walmart Ikea or Target)

• Betty

what did u spend for the top?

• Stacy Davis

This was $350 without tax. There were several different butcher blocks to choose from and most were cheaper options. I believe there was one option that was $200 and with the right stain, it probably would have looked similar. I wished I had saved the money and chose that one after all was said and done.

• Jan

What about food on the table is it safe?

• Stacy Davis

So, I asked at Lumber Liquidators which product that I should use if I wanted it to be food safe. Well, he laughed and laughed and said... "Most of us don't eat directly off the table, most of us eat off plates." So in my household, I thought about it and no, we never eat food directly off the table surface. At the very least is a napkin, if you have small children or people that do eat off the surface, you need to use a food safe sealer. If you use a finish that isn't food safe, just make sure no one ever eats directly off the table and that may be impossible. I used Tung Oil and some Tung Oil is considered food safe. From what I read, pure 100% Tung Oil is food safe so just double check with whoever is selling what you are buying, if it is food safe. I looked all over my Tung Oil container for something saying that it was food safe and I couldn't find anything that stated without a doubt that the brand that I used was food safe.