Turn an Ordinary Coffee Table Into a Statement Piece

$50
Advanced

We are trying to decorate our living room on a budget so instead of buying new furniture I am trying to paint, upcycle and create a beautiful furniture pieces without spending a fortune. I was after a nice statement piece for our living room but did not have the budget for it, so I tried a new technique, which meant I would get my 'statement piece' but without the hefty prize tag.. Here is what I did..
turn an ordinary coffee table into a statement piece
I had this sturdy and plain coffee table, which was perfect but didn't match anything in the room.. I wanted a nice white table and ended up trying out a 'marbling technique' using paint
I used a variety of techniques to try and create a marble look, I did get carried away a little and made a table top that resembled an abstract art piece rather than marble.  I added some silver leaf around the edges.
To get the lovely glass look on the table top, I used the resin (see blog post & your instructions on how to mix and use resin as instructions for different products vary)
I poured the resin and distributed it evenly around the table top using a spreader (old card is fine too). to avoid dripping I kept wiping the sides (as the resin was dripping before it set) and  rubbed it around the edges. 
I then covered the area (so no dust gets to it) and let it dry (time will be in the resin instruction I left mine for 24 hours)
Once dried the table has a nice and glass like finish!
to read more see the blog post

• Old fashioned milk paint
  • Acrylic paints
  • Sample pots (grey)
From Evija with Love

• OldNana

Beautiful. What resin (brand and type) did you use? Thank you.

• Bobbet72

This is beautiful! Wondering if this resin finish is durable enough for a kitchen counter?

• Bruce Butkis

a little late to the conversation but the product is called Bar coat epoxy resin sold under a variety of brand names you want one that is equal or greater than 50 coats per coat . you want to mix it carefully exactly as instructed for the best results and have a kitchen torch handy for getting rid of any air bubbles during the drying process and if you are working over a large area have someone help you is best you also want to either attach cardboard extended out from under the low of the counter top to catch the drips or you will have an impossible mess to clean up an even better suggestion would be to purchase rain gutters from your home center there extremely in expensive and attach easily and do a great job of catching the access which isn't always true with the cardboard you also want to keep the dust down in the room while drying or it will settle into the finish. hope this helps

• Jeane

Can I do this to a kitchen table

• Joan

If your table is wooden on top yes you sure can!!!

• Janice

WOW! Thats really nice.
    Thank You for Sharing😊

• Lisa House

This is gorgeous! You are so much braver than I am, I love the look you can get with resin but am too scared to try it. Thanks for sharing.