Turn an Ordinary Coffee Table Into a Statement Piece

90K Views
We are trying to decorate our living room on a budget so instead of buying new furniture I am trying to paint, upcycle and create a beautiful furniture pieces without spending a fortune. I was after a nice statement piece for our living room but did not have the budget for it, so I tried a new technique, which meant I would get my 'statement piece' but without the hefty prize tag.. Here is what I did..
Time: 1 DaysCost: $50Difficulty: Advanced
  • turn an ordinary coffee table into a statement piece
I had this sturdy and plain coffee table, which was perfect but didn't match anything in the room.. I wanted a nice white table and ended up trying out a 'marbling technique' using paint
I used a variety of techniques to try and create a marble look, I did get carried away a little and made a table top that resembled an abstract art piece rather than marble.  I added some silver leaf around the edges.
To get the lovely glass look on the table top, I used the resin (see blog post & your instructions on how to mix and use resin as instructions for different products vary)
I poured the resin and distributed it evenly around the table top using a spreader (old card is fine too). to avoid dripping I kept wiping the sides (as the resin was dripping before it set) and  rubbed it around the edges. 
I then covered the area (so no dust gets to it) and let it dry (time will be in the resin instruction I left mine for 24 hours)
Once dried the table has a nice and glass like finish!
to read more see the blog post

Suggested materials for this project:

• Old fashioned milk paint
  • Acrylic paints
  • Sample pots (grey)
From Evija with Love