Amy Ogden-Paparone
Amy Ogden-Paparone
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Pottstown, PA

Making Old Floors Look Good Until You Can Afford New Ones!

I'd Love to have new hardwood floors, but since that's not even close to being an option yet, here's a little tip to make them look clean and at the very least livable. Hope this helps at least one person be a little happier until they can get new floors too! :D
making old floors look good until you can afford new ones, dining room ideas, diy, flooring, hardwood floors, home maintenance repairs
They're sooo sad looking, makes me want to cry! Before washing and "Glo-ing".
Dining room floor after washing and 2 coats of mop n glo. Not perfect, but at least they don't look like the floors of an old dilapidated bunk house.
Washed all the floors with clorox and hot hot water. Living with all men who wear size 12 and 13 work boots did some major damage this winter. Then I took just regular (in the blue bottle) Mop n Glo and mopped the whole thing. Here's the first coat going on.
much better....
They'll actually stay pretty decent for about 3 months, and you can wash them normally. When they start to look dull and beat up, just mop n glo them again.
Dreaming of new floors all the time though *sigh*

• Darcy

Any wood flooing finish ??

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

I'm not sure I understand the question, but these floors are over 50 years old and have never been refinished, just cleaned and then mop n glo and this is what they look like today :)

• Margie Fritsch Lee

Can you use the mop n glo on refinished floors that have a light coat of polyurethane on them & does the mop n glo make the floors slick?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Yes you can @Margie Fritsch Lee and they look gorgeous!
  • Sue kuhn

Clorox?
  • Caroline petroff

would'nt using water do damage to the wood?
    • Amy Ogden-Paparone

Not at all Caroline, years ago they got on their hands and knees and with a scrub brush and a bucket of water scrubbed their floors.

• Faye Edwards

I don't soak my wood floors with water but I do use the wet swifter to clean mine almost every week. You would be surprised how much dirt get on them. I never used mop n glo. My floors were sealed with a glossy poly.

• Candice Gollam

I still use hot water with steeped tea bags to wash. Then EVOO with lemon oil and water in a spray bottle to make it shine and it saves a lot of money. I have beautiful wood floors. This is weeks after but I have a photo on my iPad that I can share.

• Lisa Bunker

I have cats and dogs that don’t always make the puppy pads, so urine and poop is a battle. I use cleaner, steam my floors, I places cornstarch down to sook up odor, and I still have issues. Working on the cats own room with litter box but it is a challenge with 2 new dogs from my in laws- suggestions PLEASE
    • Veronica

Look specifically for urine remover products at the pet section of grocery or pet stores. They have oxidizing ingredients that will break down the odor and remove it. You can use OxiClean products too but these for pets are already formulated and usually come in spray bottles for easy instant use. -Love, Mom of Four Cats and One Large Dog

• There are enzyme cleaning products that really do destroy pet pee and poop odors. You spray them on and leave for their recommended time. Search for these. Pet stores may have them. I ordered mine. Baking soda dissoved in some water, or even as a paste. is good for dissolving acidic and basic compounds, like the ammonia in the pee, but the enzymes are more effective on the more complex components.

• Elise Lynn

I have the BEST recipe that WORKS ALL the time. My mother a breeder of 4 types of dogs & had to have hard wood floor for this reason used this; a double benefit ~ it works on carpets & saved me my $3,500 oriental rug. All you need is water, vinegar & baking soda & a stove. Boil even parts for all: boil water then slowly add the baking soda till it dissolves then take off stove & bring to sink & add equal parts of the vinegar VERY slowly or it will bubble over. Funnel into spray bottles, or jars etc. & let it sit. If you have urine in carpets, the padding is ruined anyway & it will get rid of the smell down to the flooring. When dry ~ vacuum residue. It may take some time to dry but its VERY CHEAP & it does work!!!! I make enough to have bottles ready for future!!

• Ken Ray

Dave Ramsey says to put the Cat on eBay and the Dog on Craigslist

• Shuganne

Lisa, have you considered the crating method of dog training? If you're not in the same room, the dogs go in crates. As soon as you take the dogs out of the crate, you take them to the preferred location. As soon as they wake up from a nap, take them immediately to their preferred location. Look into it further on the internet,

As for the cats, they usually prefer one litter box of their own, plus another on the other end of the house. If you are emptying the litter box daily, they should be happy using one of the three. They don't break the potty rules unless they are experiencing stress. Like if two noisy, smelly creatures (I'm just quoting the cats here) invade their serene palace and maybe even chase them in what used to be their quiet kingdom.

If you need this as a valid reason to pass the dogs onto another family, you could try floating the idea out with your in-laws. Talk to your vet about other ways to keep your house sanitary and pleasant. Good luck!

• T erri

Can this be done on engineered hard wood floors?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Yes it can Terri, with the same wonderful results. My sister has engineered hardwood floors and she uses nothing else :)

• Mary Louttit

Where can you buy mop and glo in vuctoria Australia?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

I'm not sure Mary, I tried to see if they did but couldn't find anything. Try googling Mop n Glo sold in stores by me and maybe you'll have better results than I did

• Candy

Does the Mop & Glow build up (wax) and have to be removed after several times of doing this?

• Debbie Carter

Will this work on laminate floors?

• Candee

How much bleach do you mix with the hot water?

• Carol Ann

Wow I want to thank everybody, this sounds like something I have been looking for, don`t like the build up and then the bad part of removing it! Thanks again!

• Sue Tolbert

Love your wood floors, wish I had them. Great job in redoing them. Will pass this on to my daughter. Don't replace your awesome real wood floors, I would trade my boring fake wood floors for real wood any day. So pretty!