Peel and Stick Wallpaper Makeover

2 materials
$60
Wallpaper is making a comeback but the process of hanging wallpaper is a daunting task. That’s where peel and stick wallpaper comes in. You can update something big like a wall or something small like a piece of furniture.
As always, I went big!
This is my nieces bedroom. It needed to be updated in a big way and I thought a accent wall would be perfect.
You can purchase peel and stick wallpaper at several stores and I found mine at Target. They had a wide variety of designs to choose from. I decided on shiplap.
I began by placing a laser level on the wall using it to ensure that my paper was perfectly straight.
I hung the first piece overlapping onto the opposite wall about a 1/4”.
The second piece covered part of the window. I applied the paper to the wall aligning it to the first piece.
Once the paper was in place, I used a utility knife to cut away the paper that overhung the window. I didn’t need to be neat as I was going to replace the casing around the window.
As I applied the wallpaper to the wall, I only removed about one foot of the paper backing as I smoothed the paper onto the wall. This helps to handle the paper so it’s not sticking where you don’t want it.
To smooth the wallpaper against the wall I used a wallpaper smoothing tool - yup, that’s what it’s called.
You’ll notice the outlet on the wall. I applied the paper over the outlet and then carefully cut it out.
On the other side of the window, a larger piece of wallpaper would cover the window and I didn’t want to waste that much paper so I cut it inline with the top of the window. I then moved to the bottom of the window and did the same thing.
Once that was done, I started again at the top with a full piece of paper.
For the last piece of wallpaper,
A-I measured from the edge of the paper to the corner of the wall and added 1/4” to that measurement.
B-I transferred the measurements onto the paper
C-And cut it out on a work surface.
I added a 1/4” to the measurements so the paper would overlap past the corner.
I cut the wallpaper perfectly straight using a puddy knife as a guide for my utility knife.
If you remember, when I started, I overlapped the first piece a 1/4” onto the opposite wall. I also cut the overlapping paper on that side too.
Here is the finished wall. What a difference! It looks like real shiplap and because the paper is textured, it feels like it too.
Check back to see the reveal of my niece’s updated bedroom.

• Wallpaper   (Target)
  • Utility Knife   (Lowe’s)

Questions on this post

3 of 4 questions

Comments

10 comments
Next