Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Peel and Stick Wallpaper Makeover

$60

Wallpaper is making a comeback but the process of hanging wallpaper is a daunting task. That’s where peel and stick wallpaper comes in. You can update something big like a wall or something small like a piece of furniture.
As always, I went big!
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
This is my nieces bedroom. It needed to be updated in a big way and I thought a accent wall would be perfect.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
You can purchase peel and stick wallpaper at several stores and I found mine at Target. They had a wide variety of designs to choose from. I decided on shiplap.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
I began by placing a laser level on the wall using it to ensure that my paper was perfectly straight.
I hung the first piece overlapping onto the opposite wall about a 1/4”.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
The second piece covered part of the window. I applied the paper to the wall aligning it to the first piece.
Once the paper was in place, I used a utility knife to cut away the paper that overhung the window. I didn’t need to be neat as I was going to replace the casing around the window.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
As I applied the wallpaper to the wall, I only removed about one foot of the paper backing as I smoothed the paper onto the wall. This helps to handle the paper so it’s not sticking where you don’t want it.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
To smooth the wallpaper against the wall I used a wallpaper smoothing tool - yup, that’s what it’s called.
You’ll notice the outlet on the wall. I applied the paper over the outlet and then carefully cut it out.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
On the other side of the window, a larger piece of wallpaper would cover the window and I didn’t want to waste that much paper so I cut it inline with the top of the window. I then moved to the bottom of the window and did the same thing.
Once that was done, I started again at the top with a full piece of paper.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
For the last piece of wallpaper,
A-I measured from the edge of the paper to the corner of the wall and added 1/4” to that measurement.
B-I transferred the measurements onto the paper
C-And cut it out on a work surface.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
I added a 1/4” to the measurements so the paper would overlap past the corner.
I cut the wallpaper perfectly straight using a puddy knife as a guide for my utility knife.
If you remember, when I started, I overlapped the first piece a 1/4” onto the opposite wall. I also cut the overlapping paper on that side too.
peel and stick wallpaper makeover
Here is the finished wall. What a difference! It looks like real shiplap and because the paper is textured, it feels like it too.
Check back to see the reveal of my niece’s updated bedroom.

• Wallpaper  (Target)
  • Utility Knife  (Lowe’s)

• Cheryl Lemaire

I didn't know about peel and stick wallpaper! Thanks so much for sharing!! I love it!

• Helen

It really turned out lovely. Thanks for sharing....