Tick, Tock, It's a Fairy Garden in a Clock

$10

I LOVE fairy gardens  and over the years we've made loads of them, but this little one is now officially my favorite.

We built the fairy garden inside this over sized clock that we found at a local thrift store.

The clock mechanism didn't work any more and I originally thought I'd just fix it up a little and use it as part of our decor. While taking it apart it struck me  that it would be the perfect container for a fairy garden. The clock is about 17 cm or 6 1/2" tall and has just enough space inside for planting small succulents, adding a porch swing and two bead topiaries. All I needed to do, after a few tweaks, was drill some holes at the bottom for drainage, add soil and plant her up.

We even made a miniature porch swing from ice cream sticks to fit inside.

The porch swing hangs from the top of the clock in amongst a star filled sky.

And the little topiaries on either side are just three different sized beads that have been covered in moss and stuck together with a skewer.

I'm super excited about how she turned out.

What do you think? Would you use an old clock to make a fairy garden? I'd love to know.

P.S. you can download the plans for the little porch swing and see the full tutorial with lots of pictures on the blog. The link should be down at the bottom of this post. Come say hi, we love getting visitors.

Michelle Leslie

• Shirl J

Do u ever put in real faires?

• Michelle Leslie

The fairies come visit all the time, we just don't always get to see them

• Danielle Mayle

Did you remove the front plate on the clock altogether? I'd myself maybe leave it just due to having sand in the clock and I have three kids...lol adorable tho!

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Danielle, I did yes. Well kinda. I cut the front plate to create a barrier for the soil. I was worried that the plants wouldn't get enough air if I left the whole thing up. If you use faux succulents then it shouldn't be a problem at all.

• Tricia Allred

How did you make the starry background?