Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Tomato Cages to Cocktail Tables

$20
1 Day

My twin nephews are graduating from high school this year and my sister is throwing them a party in her backyard. With the amount of people that are attending, she wanted enough tables but didn't want to use banquet tables which take up a lot of room.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
I remembered seeing a post on where made a table using a tomato cage.
I went to Lowe's and I purchased four black cages that were 54".
tomato cages to cocktail tables
I also purchased four 1"x 18"x 18" round pine boards. Yes, I could have cut them myself but why when I can save time and just buy them already cut :)
tomato cages to cocktail tables
I began by covering my work surface with plastic then I sanded the sides, top and bottom of the pine circles with 180 grit sandpaper. I wiped away the dust with a tack cloth.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
Here a quick tip - if you are painting the sides of something, place it onto a plastic plate or bowl which raises it up. By doing this, your piece won't stick to your work surface and you'll be able to see underneath the edges.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
I applied one coat of Krylon Colormaxx acrylic latex paint in white. Once it was dry, I sanded the sides, top, and bottom with 180 grit sandpaper again. After wiping away the dust, I applied a second coat of white paint.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
While the paint was drying, I started to work on the design for the tabletops. One nephew is attending Temple University and the other nephew is attending Mansfield University.
While I am a crafty person, I'm not an artist so I found a picture of an angry owl (Temple's mascot) on my Cricut and cut it out onto black vinyl.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
I applied the black vinyl outline to the tabletop and then used craft paint to add color to the owl. For all of the other "logos"* I cut them out of vinyl and attached them to the tabletops.
If you don't have access to a dye cut machine, you could use stencils, transfer designs from paper, or just freehand designs. You could also purchase vinyl logos in stores or on-line.
*As far a copyright infringement, I'm not selling the tables and a few of the logos are my adaptation.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
Once all of the tops were dry, I flipped them over so the back was facing up.
I centered the top of the tomato cage on the back of the wooden circle.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
I used 3/4" poultry net staples to attach the tomato cages to the wooden circles hammering them into place.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
Once the tomato cages were attached, I took the tables outside and sprayed them with a clear sealer. I gave each table two coats.
tomato cages to cocktail tables
The tables were the perfect size for the party. Once the legs of the tomato cages were placed firmly in the ground, they were very sturdy. When spills happened, the tables wiped clean and no stains were left behind.

• Barb

Looks great! How sturdy are they? My cages are rather flimsy so I would have to find sturdier ones.

• Margaret

Use both 18 x 18 circles for your table - one for the top and the second one for the bottom - mark the bottom circle where the bottom of the four spikes of the cage meets, then drill holes on the circle, push the spikes through the holes where you just drilled, turn the table upright and then push the spikes into the ground. Also, as an added tip, you can attach a small plastic bag in the center to collect any used cups or napkins - it could help in the clean-up.

• Shirley

I wish I could do things like the table, but I live in an apartment. Any suggestions?

• Dianna F

Maybe purchase a big round planter fill with dirt put the spikes in the dirt , put the rest together lie stated.. You could even plant a pretty flower in the middle then..

• Betty

What would be a good base for the tables. I would love to use them indoors?

• Julie

Put plaster in a decorative pot and ‘cement’ the cage into the plaster? Might be cute

• Maureen

Great idea 👍 your tables look awesome!!

• Stacie Jones

Just fabulous! Love the idea! I'm definitely going to do this in the next couple weeks! I was thinking about a rustic look using open edge wood and maybe wrap some of the cage in a Sisal Rope. Not sure yet.

LOVE IT! Thank you for the great idea!!