Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Chas
Chas
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Fort Collins, CO

Closet Organization and Hacks

$10

We have lived in our house for almost 17 years now. I consider myself a pretty organized person but as with anyone some spaces in my house get neglected and I would say my closet is one of them. It took me most of the day but I'm really glad it did it and I am excited about the way it turned out.

You can see more of my crazy creations here

closet organization and hacks

Here is one of the before pictures. It was a mess, over full, and well in need of TLC!

(Yes, you'll notice the wire hangers - those of you who remember "Mommy Dearest" can totally year the words "No wire hangers" - lol - my husband loves them for his dress shirts.)

closet organization and hacks

The first thing I did was gut it, and I mean everything!

I learned my husband had more clothes and shoes than me! What?!!!

closet organization and hacks

After gutting it, I vacuumed the floor, the boarder of the floor with a crevice tool, and all the shelves. This would get the worst of the dust out. Next I wiped down all of the shelves, hanging rods, hardware, etc with a clean rag and soapy water.

After everything was empty and cleaned - I measured all the shelves I wanted to organize, came up with a vision, and wrote it down.

closet organization and hacks

I went to the Dollar Store and bought these collapsible boxes to store things in.

closet organization and hacks

I put my husbands baseball hats stacked in one, my hats stacked in one. I rolled up my leggings (boy was this a space saver) and place them in one as well as my yoga pants. I even have a few extra to spare!

closet organization and hacks

I bought pool noodles to put in my boots. I measured a pool noodle in my boot, marked it, and cut it with a saw. Each pool noodle would make 3 inserts for my boots.

closet organization and hacks

I had some of these shoe box bins from Dollar Tree but I went and bought a few more for our shoes that would fit in them.

closet organization and hacks

I use 2 Command Hooks and a tension rod and hung my bags on them. I was able to hang up 2 rows of them.

closet organization and hacks

I made outfits and hung them on one hanger, this helped consolidate space as well.

closet organization and hacks

I used pop tabs for some of my husband's shirts. Hook one hole of the pop tab on a hanger and hook another shirt's hook on the other hole. You can do 2 ore more shirts with this method to conserve space.

closet organization and hacks

Using a hanger or in my case a jewelry hanger and some shower curtain rings I can space save for things like my husband's belts, jewelry, scarves, tank tops, etc.

closet organization and hacks

Purge! Get rid of anything you haven't worn in the last year for sure, things you don't really love, don't fit, etc. We give our items to a variety of charities.

*One big tip I can give everyone - If you are feeling nostalgic it is not your day to clean out your closet. You have to be ready to purge to have a good day or you'll end up not getting anywhere. When you do purge, put it in a bag or box and don't look back. If you open it later you'll be bound to pull stuff back out. Just say no!

closet organization and hacks

When I put our clothes back in the closet, there was a lot less clothing and I matched hangers to give it a cleaner look.

closet organization and hacks

I am so pleased with the way it turned out and I smile when I walk in there now rather than get in and out as fast as I can to ignore it.

I would love to have you stop by my blog      Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 09, 2018 11:03 PM - More info
Chas

• Hel28439178

What are command hooks?

• Debbie Paul Child

You can get them at Wal-Mart as well. I put them inside my kitchen cabinet on the inside of the door and hang my measuring spoons and cups. Makes it so easy to find. Just look at the hole in your measuring divorces and make sure you get the small hooks that it will fit on. Also make sure you wipe the wall or cabinet with a little alcohol and let dry before installing the hooks. They will stick better.

• Hel28439178

What are command hooks?

• Annie Medic

Command hooks are stick on plastic hooks made by 3M you can get in most dollar stores, Walmart, Home Depot and cheap stores that stick on and peel off easily. They come in a variety of sizes and weight carrying abilities.

• Angeline VanDyke

Can you tell me how the hooks held up the tension rod or which hooks exactly you used? You are so talented. It was a pleasure watching and learning from you.

• Chas

You are so sweet Angeline, thank you. So about 49 seconds into the video you can see me putting the hooks up. I put them on either end of my closet door (or you could put them on a wall) and set the tension rod on top of them (or in the hook). The self adhesive hooks I used came from Dollar Tree in a set of 2, and I believe they were "Tool Bench" brand. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Debbie Paul Child

If ur suitcases are different sizes, stack them inside each other, then pick a corner to set them in. As far as your games, build a shelf out of cinder

Blocks and a board. I would paint it, and paint the cinder blocks put that under the dresses and put your games there. Use the skinny cinder blicks that have a flower design on the side so u have more room. I would,also label the boxes so it would be easy to find what each box has in it. I love this idea and wish u would do my closet. Lol

• Chas

Thank you Debbie and great tips. I would love to help you do your closet - maybe talk to Hometalk and we can work something out ;)

• BELLA

I like the ideas and am ready to tackle mine now. I like the storage ideas and just thought of one. Can you make a little cubbyhole that can't be noticed? One big enough for one of those fireproof safes. That way, you could keep some money for emergencies, important papers, birth certificates, old pictures, thumb drives, etc.

• Chas

Hi Bella, I'm sure you could. Another place to hide it might be to make it near the floor in the corner underneath where your clothes hang. A lot of people look up, but not always down in a bottom corner.