Closet Organization and Hacks

$10
1 Day

We have lived in our house for almost 17 years now. I consider myself a pretty organized person but as with anyone some spaces in my house get neglected and I would say my closet is one of them. It took me most of the day but I'm really glad it did it and I am excited about the way it turned out.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Here is one of the before pictures. It was a mess, over full, and well in need of TLC!

(Yes, you'll notice the wire hangers - those of you who remember "Mommy Dearest" can totally year the words "No wire hangers" - lol - my husband loves them for his dress shirts.)

The first thing I did was gut it, and I mean everything!

I learned my husband had more clothes and shoes than me! What?!!!

I went to the Dollar Store and bought these collapsible boxes to store things in.

After gutting it, I vacuumed the floor, the boarder of the floor with a crevice tool, and all the shelves. This would get the worst of the dust out. Next I wiped down all of the shelves, hanging rods, hardware, etc with a clean rag and soapy water.

After everything was empty and cleaned - I measured all the shelves I wanted to organize, came up with a vision, and wrote it down.

I put my husbands baseball hats stacked in one, my hats stacked in one. I rolled up my leggings (boy was this a space saver) and place them in one as well as my yoga pants. I even have a few extra to spare!

I had some of these shoe box bins from Dollar Tree but I went and bought a few more for our shoes that would fit in them.

I bought pool noodles to put in my boots. I measured a pool noodle in my boot, marked it, and cut it with a saw. Each pool noodle would make 3 inserts for my boots.

I made outfits and hung them on one hanger, this helped consolidate space as well.

I use 2 Command Hooks and a tension rod and hung my bags on them. I was able to hang up 2 rows of them.

I used pop tabs for some of my husband's shirts. Hook one hole of the pop tab on a hanger and hook another shirt's hook on the other hole. You can do 2 ore more shirts with this method to conserve space.

Using a hanger or in my case a jewelry hanger and some shower curtain rings I can space save for things like my husband's belts, jewelry, scarves, tank tops, etc.

Purge! Get rid of anything you haven't worn in the last year for sure, things you don't really love, don't fit, etc. We give our items to a variety of charities.

*One big tip I can give everyone - If you are feeling nostalgic it is not your day to clean out your closet. You have to be ready to purge to have a good day or you'll end up not getting anywhere. When you do purge, put it in a bag or box and don't look back. If you open it later you'll be bound to pull stuff back out. Just say no!

When I put our clothes back in the closet, there was a lot less clothing and I matched hangers to give it a cleaner look.

I am so pleased with the way it turned out and I smile when I walk in there now rather than get in and out as fast as I can to ignore it.

I would love to have you stop by my blog      for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Chas' Crazy Creations

• Barbara Zorzin

are you on a step stool to get to your leggings, etc?

• Rebecca

How much weight do you think the tension rod and hooks can handle?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Hi Rebecca - the hooks usually come with a recommended weight on them (like 3, 5 pounds etc) so you can buy the weight you're hoping for. The tension rods have different thickness and spring strength. I don't think they'll hold a ton of weight when they are being used as a tension rod. Using them in this way they have held my bags up nicely. You could use a wooden dowel instead if you like and they come in different thicknesses.

• Rebecca Durnell Cross

what do you do with old photos and photo books?

• Lisa DeBose

BTW, loved the advice to pick a day when your resolve is high and you're ready to get up n at em! Makes a huge difference. And put on your favorite house cleaning jams, too. 😊