Error loading player:
No playable sources found

DIY Household Cleaners With Citrus

$2

I have also been working hard doing the research on eliminating chemicals in my home. Not everyone likes the smell of vinegar and I have come up with a way to use citrus in your home that helps cut the smell, or you can use instead to make some DIY household cleaners.

You can see more of my crazy creations here

diy household cleaners with citrus

Many of these recipes you can use your choice of lemons, limes, grapefruit, or oranges. Lemons and limes are the highest in acidity for cleaning. You can substitute bottled lemon/lime juice.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Microwave Cleaner -

Place 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl.

*You can substitute lime, grapefruit, or oranges for this recipe if you like a different scent better.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Place your bowl in your microwave and run for approximately 5 minutes (times vary depending on microwave strength). The steam being released will start losing the food particles. Once the microwave is done, carefully remove the bowl, and wipe out with a clean rag.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Clean Your Cutting Board:

Place 1 teaspoon salt on a cutting board, squeeze lemon juice onto the cutting board, use the lemon to scrub the salt and juice into the board. Let set for 10-15 minutes.

*Lemons are the recommended fruit for the high acidity.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Wipe away salt mixture, and then wash off.

*You can do this to plastic cutting boards as well.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Deodorize Plastic -

Squeeze and rub in citrus fruit of your choice. Put lid on and let sit for 1 hour, then wash out.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Clean Stainless - Good for sinks, pots, pans, faucets

Make a paste of salt/baking soda, and lemon juice (or citrus fruit of your choice).

diy household cleaners with citrus

Scrub onto surface and rinse off.

*If using to clean pots and pans, wash and wipe with a microfiber cloth.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Multipurpose Cleaner -

Place citrus fruit peels of your choice in a mason jar. Fill jar with vinegar, place lid on and let sit for 1-3 weeks. This is to help the vinegar absorb the smell of the fruit.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Strain out the peels from the vinegar and discard. In a squirt bottle mix a ratio of 1:10 vinegar with water (1 being the vinegar). Use as a multipurpose cleaner in your home - great for tile.

*This is not to be used with granite. If you'd like a granite cleaner please see my granite safe multipurpose cleaner here - https://www.hometalk.com/38590066/diy-household-cleaners?r=2

diy household cleaners with citrus

Deodorize Your Garbage Disposal -

Place your citrus peels, or used citrus cut into sections into your garbage disposal. Turn your water and garbage disposal on.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Soap Scum Remover -

Remove soap scum by rubbing lemons or limes over the surface.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Spot Treatment -

Make a past of lemons & salt (lemons are recommended) and rub onto the spot. Let stand for 30 minutes. Wash as usual in your laundry.

diy household cleaners with citrus

Soften Your Towels -

Place 1 cup vinegar, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (lemon juice is recommended) into your washing machine. I have even thrown my remaining lemon into the wash as well. Launder as usual.

I would love to have you stop by my blog     Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Terry L. Black Sr.

You flipped the cutting board over? What was the result on the side with the salt?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Oh I see what you are saying Terry. I actually made a video for Hometalk that will contain all of this (coming soon). I cleaned both sides, washed both sides, and they look the same on both sides. Here are the pictures of both sides.

• Tam 15076171

I was wondering what kind of salt? when I clicked the see more it took me to a sight showing epsom salt and grandpa's salt/baking soda soap and the label looks like what is beside the words salt / baking soda see more. Is this what you are using or is it a mixture of salt and baking soda? Also I have been using 1/2 c. of baking soda in my laundry and it seems to be making my laundry soap scent last way longer in my clothes and they smell & look a lot cleaner and brighter. Is this right or is it my imagination because I want to justify the extra expense of the large amounts of baking soda I am buying?

• Margie Ellison

You can also find A&H washing soda in the laundry aisle to use its ground a little finer for use in washing machines.

• Tanya Nichols

what is best to use to unclog a sink

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I buy a plastic snake drain cleaner. I found mine at dollar tree. You stick it down the drain and pull it back up and out comes all the gunk you’re trying to clear out. Once you stick it down and it comes back clean, drain the sink well with hot water.

• Candice Gollam

This is great. I make a cleaner that cleans everything hard to clean by using the lemon peals with alcohol. It’s fantastic. I never knew about the softening of towels. I plan to leave this open until I clean my towels the next time. Thank you so much!!

• AVmom

Great ideas! I will try them.