DIY Autumn Garland

$10

Recently I learnt that some people save their odds and ends of sewing threads. To be honest the thought had never crossed my mind but once it did I was determined to find a way of using them!!
diy autumn garland
Start by prepping wood slices (you can buy or hand saw these), sand any rough edges. Paint the side of the slice, leaving a gap of 1/4” of wood around the edge with white milk paint. Set aside to dry.
diy autumn garland
I love working with Paper-backed fusible interfacing, this is perfect for fusing sewing threads. Fuse lots of short sewing threads to the sticky side of the glue, be sure to protect your iron with baking paper.
diy autumn garland
Peel the fusible interfacing off the paper, place the glue side down into an orange base fabric. Iron to adhere (protecting the iron).
diy autumn garland
Cut out a variety of leaf shapes from your orange thread fabric. I have used a printed template - you can find this on my blog.
diy autumn garland
Using a glue stick place these onto your prepared wood slices.

Drill holes into the top of the wood slices.
diy autumn garland
Thread gardeners twine to hang your leaf garland.
diy autumn garland
Who would believe the starting point was on and ends of seeing threads?! Hang your completed autumn garland.
diy autumn garland
Vickymcreations

• Sally-Charles Evans

Great idea! I think I'll try to fuse the thread to the wood, somehow, and use the wood slices as coasters. I use them plain now. They make GREAT coasters!

• Vickymcreations

I did start out with fusing the threads direct to the wood, but I didn’t have dense enough thread to give a clear identifiable leaf shape and therefore chose to change the design to add fabric. I have to admit I did love the efffect of the thread direct on the wood.

• Val

The thread bits and pieces add such wonderful texture to your fall art, what a great idea. This is lovely.