Kitchen Makeover ~ .. Approximately $200!

$200
2 Weeks

When we bought this house 3 years ago, I was in love with the size of the kitchen... and the bottom cabinets, that's it!

my kitchen was horrendous makeover approximately 200

This is the old Kitchen from when we went to look at the listing before we bought it. Maple cabinets with an antique finish that looked like it was the home of chain smokers. All closed in and very dark.

Lights had to be on if you wanted to see anything. They even decorated the microwave with special fish stickers to hide the stains in the double glass on the doors! So nice of them yes? hahahaha

Looking from the dining room into the wee little doorway into the kitchen.  Here in PA they're very into yellows and pea soup greens and burgundy and baby blue. Yep, those were the colors all over this house.

First thing we did was take down half of the wall. We have every holiday and I'm usually found in the kitchen. With it all closed up I was missing everything and feeling like Hazel the Maid! We found the wood for the top of this wall in the shop (the last owner left a lot of stuff in there and tons of wood) so it was Free!! Don't ya just love when stuff like that happens?

As you can see, a wee bit of light came in the back window. We have a big porch along the back of our house, and I love it, but that makes the kitchen dark and situated in the middle of the house now. A light has to be on at all times if you want to really see what you're doing.  There is nothing better than natural light!

Also, you can see that the cabinets were installed so low, you could barely put anything under them! What were they thinking? So guess what we did! Yep! We ripped out every upper cabinet in the whole kitchen, and opened another wall.

Bye-Bye cabinets! See ya never!

Up with the open shelving. I don't have pictures of them going up because my bestest husband put them up while I was away. As well as the new range hood we got from Wayfair for $100. Starting to look brighter and more open already right?

These are really well made maple cabinets. I'm not sure why they wanted them antiqued to look like 50 people smoked cigarettes and cigars right next to them for 50 years, but oh well, to each their own!

Here's the left side finished! I'm in love!

Here's the left side open, now I can even look into the living room when fun stuff is going on! You never want to look when bad stuff is going on! hahaha

Here's looking into the "New Kitchen" from the dining room

and here is looking from the kitchen into the dining room! Can't post anymore picture because I'm at my limit.... please feel free to comment and or ask questions! I'll do my best to answer them.

• Jan Appell

And just where do you put all the stuff that was in all those cabinets???

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

if you count up three pictures from the bottom you'll see my husband built me a huge pantry when we first moved in. You can just make out the sign that says General Store over it. I don't know why I can't add a picture of it for you to see.  It holds all the stuff we need. And i got rid of tons of stuff i didn't use, need or want anymore.

• Cheryll

Where are your glasses and plates?

And congrats on the beautiful makeover.

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Cheryll, they're on the shelves. Coffee cups are by the coffee station, and the dinner plates, glasses, wine glasses are right over the microwave. I think you can see them in the pictures I posted.

• Athena Laird

WS the wall you removed a weight bearing wall? I am looking at removing a wall and love your effect.

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

The one that faces out to the livingroom is a weight bearing wall so thats why we didn't take it down completely, the other wall was not.