Lifesize Fairy Garden Wings

$32

I've been seeing lifesize wings (usually angel wings) painted onto buildings and love the look but I don't have a large wall to paint one.

I do have a large fairy garden which would be perfect....so fairy wings it is and this is how we did it!

Using a large piece of cardboard I sketched and cut out a wing shape.

Then hubby used it as a pattern for two fairy wings that were cut out of treated plywood.

We both sanded the plywood smooth paying special attention to the edges.

Next I primer painted the plywood wings white with outdoor paint.

Then I tripped on something in the garage and broke my hand  So hubby took over and I supervised lol.

Both wings were spray painted with an awesome spraypaint- Rustoleum metallic turquoise. It says it's also a primer but the color was more silvery then turquoise on unpainted wood so we advise pre-painting the wood.

Next we sketched a design onto poster board and he cut it out with an exacto knife.

Laying our stencil onto the wing he spray painted the stencil using leftover paints. We used a poppy pink and a pale blue.

One wing done...one to go...I'm pretty excited about the colors!

We chose to put the 4x4 post backed up to trees so we wouldn't need to paint the design on the back. It's right near the entrance to our Fairy garden!

The hole was dug 3 ft deep, the post cemented in, wings attached to a board for spacing, then leveled and bolted to the post and the excess post cut off the top.

We love the whimsical look of the wings and to protect the paint from the weather we clear coat sprayed it. I was thinking of painting the post or putting wording on it at some point.

Now anyone can become a fairy by standing in front of the wings!

Our granddaughter loves it!

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Everything Red For Canada Day
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home

• Patty

Do you have a pattern for the wings?

• Kelly-n-Tony

1st I sketched some wing shapes until I got what I wanted. Google fairy wings for ideas. Next I drew the outline on cardboard and cut it out.

• Brittney Hash

Could u post s pic of the whole fairy garden??

• Rae Koontz

I love it.

Your wings are MAGNIFICENT

Thank you for sharing and if you have any other ideas, please bless us with them.