DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

How to Build a Pallet Planter Box

$1

Here I am again with another pallet project for you. We're on a roll! When you have lots of pallets, you use them! Recently my honey had a morning off and he built this planter box for me while I was at work. It was a fun surprise to come home to!

how to build a pallet planter box

He started out with some left over pallet boards from our DIY Pallet Wood Wall.

how to build a pallet planter box

You will need nine (9) pieces of pallet wood cut at 34 -1/4" long each.

how to build a pallet planter box

He used our chop saw to make quick work of the cutting.

how to build a pallet planter box

Now you have the bottom and sides and you're almost ready to assemble.

how to build a pallet planter box

He used two (2) pieces cut at 13" long to hold all the pieces of the bottom together. Your measurements may very if your pallet wood is different sizes.

how to build a pallet planter box

He placed them 5" in from each end.

how to build a pallet planter box

Secure each bracing piece with 1-1/2" wood screw and a power drill.

how to build a pallet planter box

You will need two side braces for each side, so in total you need four (4) pieces cut at 11-1/2" long. Again, they are 5 inches in from the ends and you will drop down from the top, 1 inch so that you have an amount hanging off the bottom edge to attach to the bottom section. He used his nail gun and brads to hold it all in place until he was ready to screw it all together.

how to build a pallet planter box

Now you are ready to assemble the sides to the bottom of the planter. Again he used 1-1/2" wood screws to hold it all together.

how to build a pallet planter box

Now for the ends. You will need to cut two (2) each of the following sizes. These are cut at an angle so that the planter graduates in size from bottom to top.

2 - 18"

2 - 16"

2 - 15"

This is how he explained it to me when I asked how he got the angles. "Because its pallet wood and its imperfect, there was lots of guessing involved". He got the size of the largest (top - 18") board and held it up to the planter and marked with a pencil the part that needed to be cut off. Using the chop saw, he cut along his line he made. Then, using the nail gun, he tacked it to the planter and followed doing the same with the next two pieces. I hope that is understandable.

how to build a pallet planter box

He literately made this up just out of his head, he did not have any directions to go by. This is what he does. IDK, but I can't do that so I don't understand it! lol! It looks perfect to me!

how to build a pallet planter box

Since its a planter, we need drain holes to let the water get out. He used a hole drill bit to make several holes all over the bottom of the planter.

how to build a pallet planter box

We lined the inside of the planter with landscaping fabric and we used the staple gun to hold it all in place.

how to build a pallet planter box

I think it turned out awesome and again like the patio pallet table he built, he took all the pictures for this one. Thank you baby! :)

I just planted one tomato and one pepper. We'll see how they do. I'm ready for fresh salsa, so I hope it works! It'll be nice just to step out on the patio and grab a fresh tomato.

More pictures on our blog! Thanks for looking! :)

DeeDee

• Paula P

Did you seal the wood at all?

• Mona Blake

I made several of these years ago and they lasted 15 years untreated.

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

I’m not understanding why the sides ended up being at a angle. With straight cuts that would mean straight edges?

• Mary

My deck has a hot tub on it, How can I cover it for privacy

• Steve

Use 4x4 post , then frame out lattice panels with 1x2‘s you can add some hanging plants maybe some solar deck lights ( at Home Depot they have some that gives off just enough for accent

• Watchdog

I love makeing new out of old and salvaging (PC-repurose) the wood. I would put the side braces inside, a different look maybe. Nice job.

• Willie
    8 hours ago

Loved the planter box and it's so nice that hubby surprised you with it.

Just a note. Chop saw is generally used for metal, miter saw or compound miter saw is generally used for wood. A common mistake.

• DeeDee
      31 minutes ago

Lol! Yes and thank you Willie! I appreciate the information! :)