Copper Countertops

$900
Advanced

We wanted nearly indestructible countertops in our home that we could enjoy without having to worry about them getting ruined. This is what we came up with...five years after moving into our home.

To appreciate the evolution of my kitchen, you need to see what we started with. This is a picture from the actual listing, dishes drying on the counters and all....the 70's called and they wanted their kitchen back! We gutted the entire kitchen, except for the island (but we did remove the counters and stove top). Walls were taken down, cabinets went away - pretty much a complete gut.

This is what the next few years looked like. The kitchen was mostly done - we had rerun the water lines, put in new bottom cabinets, created a peninsula with 4x4's, 2x4's and 1x4 slats, resurfaced the island with a homemade butcher block, made open shelving and put in a new sink. But we could not decide on the countertops and we did not have the money to do them anyway. My brother had some old laminate tops that you can see to the right of the sink. To the left of the sink and on the peninsula, we laid down plywood and then I covered it with oil cloth. I changed the oil cloth out every six months or so and it kept things interesting! When we got closer to being ready to put our new countertops in, we removed the laminate ones, changed the cabinets around to put the dishwasher on the other side of the sink and install plywood on top of everything. At this point, my husband to very precise measurements of where we wanted the countertops and then measured again! We gave these measurements, along with a rough sketch to a local company that does metal fabrication.

The copper came in three sections due to the constraints of how wide the rolls come in. It was protected by this film that you can see being peeled off. This was the smallest section and one of the ends so we thought it was the best one to start with.

We decided to use contact cement to adhere the copper to the plywood. Here, you can see that the plywood has been prepped with it and my husband is getting it on the back side of the copper.

At this point we have all the copper installed and are weighing it down with whatever we could get our hands on! Good thing I had gone to Costco that day! The seams fit together very tightly and we kept them away from the sink area.

Here, my hubby is cutting out the hole for the sink. When we decided to go with copper, instead of stainless steel (it was only about $200 more), we realized we would need a new sink as well since our current one was stainless steel! I was able to sell it on FB Marketplace and put the money towards our new sink!

It was totally worth it! I love this new sink!

Copper Countertops installed! My husband used decorative nailhead tacks to trim out the peninsula and it was such a wonderful way to finish that section off.

We love our new countertops and they have already begun to patina! Copper is also anti-bacterial surface and with six kids, that is a great side benefit! A little hard work, patience in the waiting and a willingness to do it ourselves leaves us with a kitchen we enjoy and that works hard for us!

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Memorial Day Crafts
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings

• Caroline Conrad

Did you use any kind of sealant?

• Veronica

Would you mind sharing a picture of the patina? You answered a question about patina and I’m curious to know what it looks like. Thanks!

• Katy | Rancho La Flor

I’m so glad you like it, Veronica! We do love it even more with the patina - it makes it very stress free!

• Vini

Hello Katy, great job on your kitchen redo! I also have been thinking about copper and I’ve never seen a copper countertop. Does it scratch easily? Now that you have copper what are the con side of having copper ? Thank you for sharing :~)

• Katy | Rancho La Flor

Hi Vini! The copper is very durable and while it does scratch occasionally, we don’t mind because we wanted a rustic, patina look. There are ways to seal the copper to keep it shiny and new looking but that isn’t the look we were going for! There are no down sides for us and I would 10/10 recommend them! Bonus side effect during these strange times is that copper is anti-microbial/anti-bacterial! Hope that answers your question! If you have any other questions, I’m happy to help!

• Nancy

I love love love this new kitchen..Very cheery...

• Caroline Conrad

Your counters look amazing! I have been thinking about copper, myself. Did you put any type of sealant on them?