Wood Trellis

$60

We have a fairly large area on the side of our home that is empty space between two windows. I designed a DIY wood trellis to dress it up a bit and make better use of the space.

We used 1x6 white wood boards. The base boards are 6 feet long. The cross boards are 4 feet long. We connected the top one using 5 wood screws into each side.

The bottom board we connected 2 feet from the bottom.

We decided to add a piece of 1x4 wood to the top of the trellis that has a 2” over hang on each side. (This photo is before we cut and attached the board).

I stained it ‘provincial’ by minwax and then sealed it using a matte polycrilic I had on hand. (We used this same stain on our shutters).

I cut my wire fencing to size. The opening in my trellis will measure slightly smaller than 4x4’

The fencing I got is 24” wide so I doubled it up and connected them together using floral wire.

Once they were connected, I painted it black with this rustoleum spray paint.

we attached the metal fencing to the center using this staple gun and staples.

To attach it to the house we used a hammer drill, impact drill, and concrete screws.

Eventually there will be either Virginia creeper, or ivy growing through it next year.