Paint Your Outdated Bathroom Counterop for Less Than $5

$10

If you live in a 90's-era home, then you're likely familiar with the cultured marble sink. I HAD three in my home, until recently, when I took a chance and spray painted one of them. That's right. I spray painted my sink. Read on to see how I used a $5 can of appliance epoxy paint to turn my bathroom countertop from a dingy yellow to crisp white!

Here is the before that I was working with. Everything was still in great condition, just in need of a little updating.

STEP 1: TAPE OFF YOUR AREA

I chose to use the spray form of the product since the area was so small and the spray is a fourth of the cost of the paint. But beware, the overspray and smell is INTENSE. You will want to make sure you have thoroughly taped off and covered any areas that you don’t want overspray on, including your walls, vanity cabinet and faucet hardware.   

STEP 2: VENTILATION

Spray paint fumes are intense. Make sure you open any windows, use a fan, and wear a respirator or mask.  

STEP 3: CLEAN THE SURFACE  

I used a pre-paint cleaner that I had on hand from a previous project, and made sure to dry and wipe with a lint-free cloth before spraying to remove any dust. I did not sand the surface, but you might benefit from using a fine grit sandpaper to rough it up a little.  

STEP 3: PREP YOUR CAN

Be sure to shake the can for a full minute or more to properly mix.  

STEP 4: SPRAY YOUR COUNTER

In a sweeping motion with overlap on each pass, spray a thin coat of paint on your surfaces. You will need multiple coats ( I used 4). I sprayed a coat, waited 2-3 minutes and sprayed again. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!! You MUST complete all of your coats within a 30 minute timeframe. Not hard to do if you use the above process, but make sure you tackle this project at a time that you won’t get pulled away or distracted. If you spray additional coats on the surface after 30 minutes the paint will bubble. If you need to apply additional coats or touch ups after 30 minutes you must wait a full week to recoat.  

Using the same prep process, I also decided to tape off the faucet and give it a few coats of some Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint that I had on hand.

And there you have it! A completely transformed vanity counter with spray paint! At the time of this post, we have been using it about two months with no issues of visible wear.

For more details, and how I transformed that vanity base as well using paint, go check out the blog!

Jessica @ The Martin Nest

• Wade Wilken

How long would the faucet paint last over chrome?

• Debbie

To clarify, the sink bowl was also painted?

• Bmi32050820

I have the cultured marble and it has small cracks around the drain will spraying cover that or should I use something in the small crack lines. Thanks for your advise. Betty

• Stephanie Lynn Carey

Home Depot and Lowe’s have countertop paint kits with/sealers think one kit runs under $150 (I was looking into doing mine, just haven’t gotten to that project yet)

• Krafty Mrs.K

Appliance Epoxy is what she used. I have only used it on bathrooms so i don't know if it could handle kitchen wear. I would definitely use tub and tile epoxy in the sink bowl if porcelain. You can do more on countertops with mixing colors for a faux stone look then coat with clear epoxy.

• Kaye F Gasque

I did my countertops with a faux stone look. So happy to find this for the second bathroom remodel!!! And I never thought about painting the faucets! Thank you so much- love, love, love this!!!