Farmhouse Lamps

$20

I was in one of my favorite home decor stores last week oohing and awwing over lamps. I walked away with no lamps in my buggy this time but... You won't believe what I found on my next treasure hunting trip!

As soon as I saw these lamps, I could envision what a little bit of paint could do.

This was my inspiration lamp.

After cleaning them with Simple Green, I primed them with Dixie Belle Paint's Slick Stick. I chose this primer because I wanted to paint the metal shaft. (This primer helps paint adhere to metal, glass, and glossy surfaces.) It was perfect for the wooden portion too and eliminated sanding before painting.

I wanted the same look as the lamps I saw in the store so I painted a base coat of Dixie Belle Paint in Sand Bar. I turned the lamp upside down to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

After giving the lamps 2 coats for paint, it was time to dry brush using a lighter shade of paint. I chose Fusion Mineral Paint in the color Raw Silk. For this technique, I used an inexpensive chip brush that I dampened first. I dipped the brush into the paint and wiped off the excess paint on a paper towel.

I used criss cross and random strokes to make sure the undercoat paint peeped through.

Once the paint was dry, I sealed in with Polycrylic using a foam brush.

I happened to have a pair of matching shades in my stash which worked well.

Can't get much closer to what I saw in the store. I love the way they turned out!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/leapoffaith090117/

• Cindy Rubin

Did you have any problem with bleed through... the darker wood discoloration bleeding through the paint over time?

• Leap of Faith

The lamp bases were not sanded and I also primed them prior to painting. Both of which should eliminate bleed through.