Create Colorful DIY Candle Holders in Under 5 Minutes With Alcohol Ink

$5

Need a quick and easy last minute gift? These DIY candle holders take only a few minutes to make and will wow whoever is lucky enough to receive one. Using basic supplies you can create a whole crate of these funky candle holders to give away, or keep for yourself. I love playing around with the colors, and with how quick and cheap these candle holders are you can totally experiment and try out new colors and designs without breaking the bank. Ready to get started? Check out my step-by-step tutorial below to make your own.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Alcohol ink
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Small glass vases or candle holders
  • Gloves
  • Sponge
  • Plastic wrap

Sponge Technique

Clean the Candle Holders

Before we get started make sure to wear gloves to protect your hands. Alcohol ink stains and you don’t want to end up with purple hands! I also thoroughly cleaned the candle holders to make sure that I had a nice surface to work with.

Add Color to the Sponge

I started by adding some ink to the sponge. Don’t overdo because you don’t want the ink running all over the place. 

Sponge on Color

Then I sponged the ink onto the outside of the glass candle holder. Alcohol ink is transparent so the light from the candle will shine through it.

Keep Adding Color

Add More Color

I continued sponging on different colors. If you don’t have a sponge you can use a cloth for this part, but I like the texture that a sponge lends to the ink.

Tip:

You can use regular alcohol to remove any color that you don’t like, just spritz it on and wipe away. 

Plastic Wrap Technique

Plastic Wrap Technique

For this technique I started by laying out a piece of plastic wrap. It doesn’t need to lay flat, in fact we will use the creases to our advantage for our design.

Drip Alcohol Ink

Then I created splotches of color. Make sure not to overdo it or to mix any of the colors too much, you don’t want to end up with a muddled mess.

Add More Colors

Tip: 

You can make your own alcohol ink with markers and alcohol. If you happen to have any old markers lying around you can place the ink part in alcohol to create your own alcohol ink.

Place the Vase in the Center

Once I was happy with the color I had applied, I placed the vase in the center and lifted the plastic wrap up and around the candle holder. 

Wrap with Plastic Wrap

I pressed firmly onto the plastic wrap to make sure that as much as possible got up and around the candle holder. 

Unwrap

Let Dry

Make sure to let these candle holders dry for at least an hour before you insert any candles as we don’t want them catching on fire.

DIY Decorative Candle Holders

I like to use faux LED tea lights for mine so that I don’t have to worry about an open flame in my house.

• Luci Feldman

Rubbing alcohol is not the same as Isopropyl Alcohol. I use 91% or higher which is virtually impossible to purchase during Covid 19.

Will reg. Rubbing alcohol work now in alcohol paintings on canvas?

• Cassandra Turney
    9 minutes ago

Does the ink wear off? Can I use a sealer on the ink? If so what would you suggest?