The Beautiful Way to Solve This Kitchen Problem With a Flower Pot!

11 materials
$15

Vintage is my vibe, but I don’t always want to shell out big bucks for real vintage pieces. I had been looking for the perfect utensil caddy for my kitchen, and I realized that I had all of the tools I needed to create one that fit my aesthetic. Using basic supplies, I threw together a French country utensil caddy from a simple terra cotta pot. Using stamps, I decorated it to perfectly fit my space. In this tutorial I’ll show you how to make your own and give you some tips and tricks for working with stamps. Check it out!

diy utensil caddy, Tools and Materials
Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Terra cotta pot
  • Paint
  • Chip brush
  • Blue shop towels
  • Stamps
  • Scrap wood
  • Cling wrap
  • Baby wipes
  • Brayer
  • Wooden feet
  • Glue
diy utensil caddy, Paint the Pot
Paint the Pot
Paint the Pot

I started by painting my pot. I wanted to achieve a vintage farmhouse look on the pot, so once I had painted a bit of the paint on I went in with a wet towel and moved the paint around, creating more of a whitewashed look. 

diy utensil caddy, Rub the Paint In
Rub the Paint In

I continued with this technique until I had achieved the look I was going for.

diy utensil caddy, Painted Terra Cotta Pot
Painted Terra Cotta Pot

Tip:

Clay absorbs paint very quickly, so you don’t have to wait too long for it to dry.

diy utensil caddy, Stamp
Stamp
Stamp

You can use different mediums for the stamps, but I chose to go with paint. When working with stamps you need to use a brayering surface for the stamp to pick up the paint. 

Tip: 

Create a simple brayering surface by wrapping a small board with cling wrap. When you’re done, clean-up will be as easy as just pulling the wrap off and throwing it away!

diy utensil caddy, Roll Out Paint
Roll Out Paint

Once I had my surface ready, I added a bit of grey paint and then picked up a thin layer with my brayer. You really want to use as little paint as possible here. If you use too much your stamp won’t end up crisp and clear.

diy utensil caddy, Lay Down the Pot
Lay Down the Pot

Then I set my pot sideways on my working space with two rolled up towels holding it in place.

diy utensil caddy, Paint the Stamp
Paint the Stamp

I pulled the stamp away from the backer sheet and lay it on my worktable. Then I rolled on a coat of paint with my brayer. These stamps are super easy to work with on curved surfaces because of how flexible they are. 

diy utensil caddy, Press the Stamp
Press the Stamp

With the stamp fully painted, I gently lay it on the pot, starting at one end and slowly walking my fingers along the edge. I’m going for an aged look, so if there are some spots without paint that’s totally fine.

diy utensil caddy, Stamped Terra Cotta Pot
Stamped Terra Cotta Pot

Tip: 

Keep baby wipes on hand when working with stamps. It makes it easy to wipe off the stamp if you don’t have time to fully wash it just yet. 

diy utensil caddy, Stamp Again
Stamp Again

I repeated the process with another floral stamp.

diy utensil caddy, Place the Stamp
Place the Stamp

Tip: 

Work quickly when using paint and stamps. They tend to dry much more quickly than ink.

I measured and planned before I started, so I already knew exactly where I wanted to place my stamps. I added two more stamps with the floral stamp. 

diy utensil caddy, DIY Stamped Utensil Caddy
DIY Stamped Utensil Caddy

Reminder:

We’re going for a vintage feel, nothing needs to be perfect here!

diy utensil caddy, Add Feet
Add Feet
Add Feet

I wanted to add one last thing to my utensil caddy to make it stand out, so I decided to add some feet. 

diy utensil caddy, Paint the Feet
Paint the Feet

I decided to do a faux stain on them. I picked up a bit of leftover paint from my brayering surface with a baby wipe, and wiped paint all over the knobs that I would be using as feet for my caddy. This is a great technique to get a quick faux stain on wood without shelling out for a whole can of stain.

diy utensil caddy, Place the Feet
Place the Feet

Once the feet had dried, I went ahead and glued them onto the pot. I placed them in a triangular format and glued them into place using Titebond Quick and Thick glue, one of my favorite glues to use in the workshop. It dries super quick and once it’s on, it’s not going anywhere.

diy utensil caddy, Glue the Feet
Glue the Feet

If you want to you can go ahead and use a clear matte sealant, but as my utensil caddy will be living in my kitchen, I skipped this step.

diy utensil caddy, DIY Utensil Caddy
DIY Utensil Caddy

And there you have it, a simple project that will bring some country chic into your kitchen. Have you ever worked with stamps? Let me know in the comments below!

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 6 questions

Comments

3 of 41 comments
Next