Busy Boards

$30

Toddlers are a busy bunch, right??!! Besides being a blogger I also have a small home daycare and have been working with little ones for a looooong time!! I've wanted to put a busy board together for awhile...I knew the kids would love it! I actually had 2 different boards in mind to DIY; I wanted to make one that focused on fine motor skill development and one that was more sensory and incorporated fun textures.

Dollar Tree was where I found most of the things for my busy boards. They were stocked for back to school and had all kinds of cool, fun things I could use.

Raid your junk drawer...there are probably all kinds of things in there that could be used for your own busy board.

What Can You Use To Attach To A Busy Board?

I knew I wanted to have some items that teach skills they will need for getting dressed themselves; for this skill I'm adding a zipper, paracord bracelets for opening/closing clips, velcro, and shoe tying.

Dollar Tree had so many textured items to use. I found some fuzzy circle clips, a sequined sleeve for a coffee cup, a magnet, and some pretty ribbon.

I grabbed a few wooden items...I actually didn't know what I was going to do with them but got them anyway. Some of my projects are free form and I start by going in one direction and end up going in a complete opposite way!

I bought a couple of door locks and a light switch at Walmart. I rifled through my tool box and found a few more interesting things.

Making The Board

I used a panel from Lowe's that measured 16 x 48 inches.

I cut it down the middle with my saw to make 2 busy boards.

I painted the boards with 2 coats of white semi gloss paint and let the boards dry overnight before moving on the the next step.

Paint The Wooden Items

I painted a quick coat of colorful acrylic paints on all the wooden items that I wanted to use.

Attaching The Items

It took me awhile to figure out how I was going to lay everything out on the boards. I didn't even end up using everything I purchased. I started by attaching all the wooden items to the boards. I drilled pilot holes before attaching with screws to the boards (the wood is pretty weak and would have split if I just tried to screw them directly on.)

I used a small hinge to attach the wood square and added a knob to make it a door.

Underneath I Mod Podged a cute kitty picture so when the kids open the door they have a surprise waiting!

I glued a row of wood disks and wrote 1-5 on them.

Gorilla Glue is what I recommend when gluing odd items to the boards. It was so strong and had held everything securely in place ( even with not so gentle kids playing with them now for weeks!)

I USED A COMBINATION OF GORILLA GLUE, SCREWS, UPHOLSTERY NAILS, & STRONG VELCRO TO ATTACH EVERYTHING TO THE BOARDS.

Finished Activity Board

My activity board has a combination of motor skills that the kids can practice. I did a combination of "around the house" skills like a door latch, door chain, a wheel, light switch, and light. I also added a few "dress myself" skills with a shoe lacing station, velcro, belt clip, and mirror (I have a small comb they can practice combing their hair) .

Finished Sensory Board

The finished sensory board had so many fun different textures: there's the furry circles ( I zip tied them onto the knob), soft ribbon,a bumpy unicorn, color changing sequins, buttons, and pom poms (in the drawer that the kids can use for counting). I also added a shoe lacing station ( I did it by screwing eye hooks into the mini wooden pallet and adding the shoe lace through the hooks) because it seems to be a lost art among youngsters!

They are definitely a hit with the kids!

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Jennifer Howard| Cottage On Bunker Hill