Vegetable Support or Trellis (or Obelisk!) What Would I Know!

$10

I like growing vegetables but finding decent supports is difficult.

I bought some from Bunnings but after a season or so they were bending and really not man enough for the job.

I have also used wood but - you know - rot and all that nonsense

I want something that will last years (at least 30!!) to see me out :-)

Supplies

Rebar (I used 10mm x 6m lengths)

Tape Measure

Marker Pen

G Clamp (turned out to be optional)

Hammer - Because hitting things is always good

Welder

Sunglasses(cos you know -- cool)

Hat - Its sunny and hot and I haven't got a lot of hair so my bonce burns

Step 1: Materials

I bought 10 x 6m lengths of Rebar at the store, I had a bolt cutter with me to cut them in half (as I only have a small car to transport them but the very nice lad at the shop cut them for me -- TOP BANANA!! work saved

I then marked the 3m lengths in the centre using a marker pen

Step 2: Bending

I banged a 6 inch nail into a fence post and clamped the first piece into place with a G Clamp ( found out fairly soon that this was pretty much unneccessary but hey-ho) and bent the rebar around

Step 3: All Bent, Time to Fix

Put the pieces in the grass and set them out, now at this point I could have just zip tied them but..........

Step 4: Welding

If you've got a welder, you may as well use it (and I've got 2) :-) - MIG and Arc

All welded up

I'm an ok welder but I don't want these to break so my mantra is the same as when I tie thing, (which is if you're gonna tie knots tie lots!) so lots of weld then

Step 5: And in Position

Two to protect the Blueberries, and the rest for beans, peas etc to grow up. Basic but functional, I could paint them but I quite like the natural rusty look

May make some taller (2m) ones next week

Took about an hour to make 10

Cost about NZ$10 each

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July

• Trudy

But how did you actually bend them? I am envisioning that you have to grab one end in each hand and pull. But I am short so my arms aren't very long!

• Stephen Taylor

I'm making some frames to support bird netting over my fruit beds this weekend and am bending the rebar over my knee, so not that difficult

• Terry Zier

This is a really good idea. I use wood stakes to hold up my tomatoes and it really doesn't work that well. The tomato plants flop all over and it looks really messy. Thank you

• Black Hills Rosie

These look nice and could probably add one or two horizontal rebar pieces around them, too. I think they will look good in my flower gardens - which really need decent supports.