How to Transform Old Coffee Tables With Mosaic

$9

I love up cycling breathing nd life into old tired worn furniture and so when I saw this pair of mid century plain tired tables I knife they were destined for something much more special.

Old coffee tables

I decide which colour palette and vitreous glass mosaic tiles to use on this project.

Choosing colour palette

I decide on black white beige and pink in a variety of sizes.

first step is to prep tables for tiles .

I use PVA glue to cover the surfaces and then cover with white photocopy paper to give a good key surface for the tiles and to give me a light bright blank canvas to design from.

Pva glue table surface
Cover with paper

I begin placing tiles into position from outside border and start to formulate the design . Doing this is to make sure of my design before starting flying process.

Planning design

It’s ready for next step of glueing with pva the outside edges and then on to inner section .

Using pva glue to stick glass tiles
Making flowers centre

I decide to cut some pink tiles into diagonals for triangle inner fill shape . I use wheeled tile nippers and create lots of little triangle which infill and create a nice contrast pattern for the background.

Using wheeled tile nippers

When the tiles are all done and dry it’s time to grout ans I prefer to use ready mixed black grout for this design. It’s a bit tricky sometimes getting the consistency right if you use powdered grout and so I make it easy for myself by using a really good and big economical tub that’s ready to go.

Wear rubber gloves as it stains and can get messy and a stuff piece of cardboard or credit card is fine to spread with.

Grouting the table
Grouting the table

Working it evenly into all the gaps and then wiping off the excess. I use wet wipes but you can use a cloth with warm water but be careful where you dispose of the cement waste water.

Cleaning the excess grout off

I keep wiping and cleaning the tiles until I’m happy with the result and so proud of my new designs!

Mosaic table makeover

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time

• J
    J

How much glass did you purchase for the two tables? Did you buy it by the pound as the materials link suggests?

• Susan Goode
      Susan Goode

hi i tend to buy in bulk quantities and so the better value is to get a mix that will see you through many mosaic projects but if just for this one smaller bags would suffice. Sometimes its more about seeing what size shapes and colours are available that you like

• VGSelf
    VGSelf

I don’t understand putting the paper down to place the tiles on. What am I’m missing?

• Susan Goode
      Susan Goode

It gives a blank bright background to see the design process better as well as giving a good non slippy surface to help adhesion of tiles .