How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies With Household Items

I don't know about you, but this time of year the fruit flies are out in full force at our house. To me they are one of the most annoying bugs, and they seem to multiply like bunnies! Apparently female fruit flies can lay up to 500 eggs at a time and their life spans are 40-50 days, during which time they can lay several 500-egg batches. No wonder they are so hard to get rid of!
But there is hope to control them!!
Try to prevent them from coming in the first place and/or eff up their homes once they arrive using these simple tips for getting rid of fruit flies:
1. Keep your sink clean. Fruit flies like to procreate in drains, so make sure to keep all food out of your sink and drains.
2. Rinse out your recyclables before throwing them away and take our your trash often. It also helps to have a trashcan with a lid and keep it closed at all times.
3. Periodically pour boiling water down the drain. You can easily kill budding fruit flies by clearing out the drains with boiling water.
4. Set homemade traps. We have tried all different kinds of traps, but we have found the wine and saran wrap option to be the most successful. Just pour a little bit of wine into a glass, cover tightly with saran wrap, then use a toothpick to poke a few holes in it. Apparently the flies can get in through the holes, but then can't figure out how to get out. I put one near our sink and one near our trashcan and they really work!!

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Colette

• Joanne

Could you use any fruit juice instead of wine?
    • Dianna Locke

i use vinegar, sugar, drop of dawn dish soap, cover plastic wrap poke holes. also fly paper ribbon walla keeps them down. also turn off all lights, leave one on where fly paper is. will catch more flies

• Carol

Now...... I wonder how we can get rid of those flour bugs that fly around and lay eggs in our rice, quinua, flour, and dried beans!
  • Cindi

Would cranberry apple juice work? Or does it have to be wine?

• Brandon Sargent

You could try it. Cider vinegar works well. It's more the pungent smell than any type of specific color if that's where your mind was headed with the cranberry juice instead of wine.

• Melony Lewis

I mix couple drops of blue dawn and apple cider vinegar together in a small dish. I use a shot glass and set behind my sink for fruit flies. You definitely have to change it often because they don't make it far once having a drink

• Linda Dunigan

Thanks for everyone’s ideas.