Adding Color and Polish to a Builder-Grade Bathroom

My husband and I used saturated color and creativity to update our tiny builder-grade powder room with an even tinier budget.
When we first moved into our home, the downstairs bathroom was, um, OK.
It certainly could have been worse. But every time I walked past it, I sighed, and that's how I knew it needed a makeover. Badly.
The first step was to paint the walls with Benjamin Moore's Champion Cobalt.
Next, we added a shelf over the toilet to hold some much-needed decor and accessories. It began with a piece of red oak.
We wanted to use Ikea's Ekby Bjarnum brackets (spray-painted gold), so the oak had to go through some extensive sanding to create a perfect fit. Once that was done, we stained it with Minwax's Dark Walnut and finished it with a couple coats of Polycrylic.
Next, I created two little pieces of text-based art on my computer and printed them out to put in simple white frames. (You can get printable versions on my blog!)
The walls needed a few more accents, so I attempted two amateur abstract pieces with acrylic paint.
My husband painted a colorful, beachy scene with watercolors to complete the corner.
I painted the wood vanity white, and spray-painted the towel rack and toilet paper holder gold to continue the gold theme.
I picked up three faceted cabinet knobs from Lowe's, and surprise, surprise - I spray-painted those, too.
The faucet and light fixture are still chrome for now. All the cool kids mix metal, right?
I still don't love the tile, so ... I just don't look at it. Problem solved!

Everything Red For Canada Day
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Stephanie Shore Fisher

• Retta Robinson

Since drawer knobs and handles get handled a lot (duh-h-h), how does the spray paint hold up? I'd like to change the color on 34 in my kitchen.

• CarlyTee

I have the same question and exactly the same dilemma - I’d like to refinish a couple of metal handles for my laundry makeover...

• CarlyTee

What spray paint brand and colour did you use? The gold you picked is PERFECT for what I want to do... I really like the satin look and the toned down gold. I’m in NZ so not that many options but we do have Rustoleum!

• Louise Madore

This is going to be my first project when I retire next summer. I adore it. Thank you so much
  • Paege

such a great job. adore all your choices AND you and your husband's works of art! Hooray!!