Staircase Makeover

Do you have a staircase that looks tired and in need of some loving? With some liquid starch and fabric, you can give those stairs a fun, bright and colorful makeover. The beauty of this project is that any kind of fabric can be used. You can choose to use one print, two prints, or as many prints as you have risers. You can also use different textures of fabric ... perhaps burlap is what your decorating
staircase makeover, how to, repurposing upcycling, stairs
The stairs to my quilt studio and office were standard fare ... pine treads and white risers. It wasn't long before I found myself constantly having to scrub off scuff marks and the like from the risers. Since my quilt studio is my "happy place," I really wanted the entrance to be bright and cheerful, preparing me, as I climbed, to put my creative hat on plan for a great day.
Start by putting some liquid starch in a leftover ice cream bucket.
Dunk the fabric strip in the starch.
Quickly remove the fabric and squeeze out the excess starch.
Apply it to the riser, using your fingers to remove all bubbles and wrinkles.
After it has dried, trim off the excess on the sides.
Enjoy your new staircase!
On the blog you'll find ...
- Complete list of supplies and materials
- How to measure your fabric
- Tips for applying the fabric to the rise
- Tips for trimming and cleaning up
- Detailed step-by-step tutorial
Simply Fresh Vintage

• Maggie

I have fairly nice cabinets but I'm tired of them, will I ruin the stain on the cabinet door when the fabric is removed.

• Linda Robbins

I don't think it will, but it will leave a residue that will be a bit of a pain to remove. I used to use sheets to cover the walls when I rented and the big thing when I moved was getting the residue off the walls. With the cabinets being wood, I think I would just be careful when removing the starch residue after removing the fabric.

• Madison Stephens

It's been a couple years, how is this holding up?

• HONEY

will this work on a bar counter top that has Formica on it?

• Kathryn Denny

Cute I wish I would have seen this before I ordered wallpaper for my built in shelves. It can go from sweet like you have down to dramatic upscale. TY for the thought. I think I heard of this years ago and had forgotten. Your project turned out great

• Ethel Kirkpatrick

Hmmm... I actually loved the way your stairway looked before until I saw the finished product. Just stunning! I love the different colours on the risers and I'm a fabriholic so this is right up my alley! Love it!