DIY Floor Stencil

I recently painted my front door, and then everything else spiraled out of control and I set out to try to breathe some life back into our horribly boring front stoop. I don't have a cutting machine, and have no idea how to use image editing software, so I made this stencil for my front patio the old fashioned way - print and cut!
diy floor stencil, curb appeal, flooring, how to, painting
Yikes - here's how my little front porch looked a couple of weeks ago.
I found a pattern I liked online, added it to Microsoft Word, and just expanded the image to take up a page. I printed two pages because my stencil sheet was exactly the size of two sheets of paper.
Stencil material, a printer, and a cutting tool were all I needed to create this stencil!
I taped the pattern over the stencil material and used an Exacto knife to cut it out.
I taped the stencil down and painted down the pattern. I have a sure-fire, fool-proof way to avoid bleed through under stencils (even ones that curl like crazy), but you'll definitely need to stop on over to see my tricks! I will tell you I used white, semi-gloss exterior paint for the top coat, to help keep it in good shape.
After the white was painted down, I used acrylic paint in four different colors to add some pops of color to the porch.
I sealed it all off with clear shellac, since it is only semi-covered, and of course, people will be walking on it.
Here's how the whole little front porch looks today! Stop by for more details on stenciling tricks, and how I keep those lines so clean.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 14, 2018 11:18 PM - More info
Jenny @ Refresh Living

• Marciakaron

I want to do this. Did you first paint the stoop grey, or just wash it really well with bleach?

• Cheryl Williamsen

Good observation. It’s painted or perhaps stained w/ concrete stain. Concrete stain is “da bomb”.

• Dul7724434

When you apply shellac to the concrete does it make the landing slick when it gets wet?

• Fis24534068

Like what you did. Looks nice. Why didn't you put the step directly under the door ? It looks nice, more finished that way and easier to get into and out of.

• Susan Elliott

Really wanted a before pic... None showing.

• Dawn French

Wonder how well it will hold up in Illinois where we have to Shovel that Snow.

• Cheryl Williamsen

It should be fine, if the surface is cleaned really really well. If the concrete is really old, it’s going to require power washing if not a pro concrete cleaner, like muriatuc acid.

Personally, I would use concrete stain, not paint