DIY Floor Stencil

I recently painted my front door, and then everything else spiraled out of control and I set out to try to breathe some life back into our horribly boring front stoop. I don't have a cutting machine, and have no idea how to use image editing software, so I made this stencil for my front patio the old fashioned way - print and cut!
Yikes - here's how my little front porch looked a couple of weeks ago.
I found a pattern I liked online, added it to Microsoft Word, and just expanded the image to take up a page. I printed two pages because my stencil sheet was exactly the size of two sheets of paper.
Stencil material, a printer, and a cutting tool were all I needed to create this stencil!
I taped the pattern over the stencil material and used an Exacto knife to cut it out.
I taped the stencil down and painted down the pattern. I have a sure-fire, fool-proof way to avoid bleed through under stencils (even ones that curl like crazy), but you'll definitely need to stop on over to see my tricks! I will tell you I used white, semi-gloss exterior paint for the top coat, to help keep it in good shape.
After the white was painted down, I used acrylic paint in four different colors to add some pops of color to the porch.
I sealed it all off with clear shellac, since it is only semi-covered, and of course, people will be walking on it.
Here's how the whole little front porch looks today! Stop by for more details on stenciling tricks, and how I keep those lines so clean.

Jenny @ Refresh Living

• Robyn Garner

Do you know that when (not if) someone falls because of the uneven brick step that is not to code, nor is the distance between the steps, etc. Do you know that when an injury occurs you will be held legally responsible?

Though cute, you really need to repair the front steps to meet building code. Contact your local code enforcement office and they will let you know what you have to do.

• Laura Adolphus Hathcoat

I think you did a great job. My stoop is awful, too, but isnt covered at all. Nobody uses that door, but I am worried about the elements. Would it hold up?

• Marty

Is it slippery with the top coat you used?

• Lorena Cochran Noble

There are products like Drylok or non slip paint that actually have a rough finish. They also are for use on cement, block and such. DYI the paint it's self, google how to make non slip paint, could be as easy as adding silica .