I have had my cookie sheets, broiler pan, pizza stone etc in a metal upright divider in a cabinet on the opposite end of the ovens. At least they were on the same side as the ovens in my galley kitchen. I subscribe to HandyMan (or woman in my case) and remember seeing a cookie sheet storage project in a past issue. I decided to build a storage area in the double cabinet next to the wall oven to put the bakeware closer to where they are actually needed and used. The first thing I had to do was remove the top shelf and cut it in half. I then used the extra half to make a shelf support to install in the middle of the cabinet. I three small pieces of wood and attached one to the bottom left and attached two to the back, on either side of the middle support. I drilled holes for the shelf supports to match the other side, then screwed into those small attached pieces of wood to attach the support to the back wall and floor of the cabinet. You can see the small piece of wood at the bottom of the center support. First issue solved.
Cabinet Cookie Sheet Storage
This was the double cabinet after cutting the shelf in two, and installing the cut off side as the center support for the shelf to sit on. Notice that our electric for the ovens is in the back of the cabinet to the right. When installing the center support I had to notch out the back bottom of the shelf to accommodate the electric wires.
The set of instructions said to cut 2 pieces of plywood, cut to the size of the top and bottom of the cabinet. After measuring the cabinet, I decided to use lauan instead of plywood. I found left over lattice trim board (1/4 in x 1 1/2 x 8) which used to cut the slats 1 inch less than the plywood, or lauan in my case, for attaching to the top and bottom. I started attaching the slats on the right edge of the top and bottom, so they were evenly spaced. The article recommended using a small slat of the wood + an old plastic card (grocery store or credit card) to space the slats to provide extra space to slide out the dividers. In hindsight, plywood would have provided additional support, as the lauan was only 1/4 inch thick and not the 1/2 inch thick plywood recommended. Since I used lauan, I used 3/8s staples to attach the slats to the lauan vice brad nails. I also applied a line of wood glue to each slat prior to attaching each to the lauan.
The next step was to create a frame work to attach the top of the slats to. I had some 1x4s left over, and cut 4 pieces to create the top frame. Since this cabinet had a drawer, and my drawers are old....i.e., have a center slide that they sit on and not drawer slides on the sides of the drawer.....I attached the back part of the frame to the bottom of the wood holding the drawer slide level. Then I attached small pieces of wood above the frame on the sides and front. I wanted a solid attachment of the frame prior to leveling and screwing the pieces into the cabinet itself. The frame set below the center drawer slide, making attachment a little challenging. After leveling and attaching the frame, you attach the top piece of the slats to the frame with wood screws.
I only needed 3 dividers for the amount of cookie sheets, and cupcake pans I had. The dividers were also cut from the lauan, to the size of the slats with a curved cut out for each to enable easy reaching of cookie sheets, etc.
This is the "almost" finished project. I will go back in with matching paint and possibly add a trim piece to cover the frame of the top support to give it a more finished look!