DIY Brick Garden Border and Edging
This month I decided to tackle one of the weed-coated areas around my pool to update it and make it look much more presentable. I removed all the old garden borders and edging, which were made of wood and vinyl and were disintegrating and cracking from being in the direct sun over the years. I replaced the borders and edging with brick, in addition to pulling a LOT of weeds! You may have seen my previous post detailing the border I made using concrete retaining wall blocks. For this project, I used much smaller bricks to build the borders and edging.
Here is an abbreviated tutorial for how I built my brick garden borders/planter boxes and edging. For a full tutorial and additional picture, see the link to my blog at the bottom of this post.
Here is the before pic of the area I decided to upgrade the landscaping on:
I started with the middle planter box to begin. I removed the old, rotting, wood border and then using a shovel, I evened out the ground in the area the bricks were to be placed.
I placed the first brick down and used a level to ensure it was even in the ground from side to side and front to back. I then continued placing bricks, in a square, using adhesive to attach the bricks to one another and making sure each brick was completely level with the bricks on each side.
Once the first row was complete, I staggered the second row and attached with adhesive, followed by the third row.
I also removed the vinyl edging that separated the rock at the front from the section with the three planter boxes and followed the curve of the concrete next to the pool. I replaced that with edging bricks that can easily be curved. The first picture below shows the old vinyl border, the second shows the new brick border.
I then built another brick garden border around the right side planter box, following the same process as the first planter box. I did use slightly different brick for the right side planter box. Here are before and after pics.
I also pulled all the weeds and the area now looks MUCH nicer! I still have a little more work to do to finish this area (build a brick planter box on the left side, lay weed blocker, and add rock to dirt areas). But here's what it looks like at this point: