Everyday Drink Coasters

$15

If you're tired of seeing rings on your coffee and end tables, here is your solution! These cute little coasters are super quick and easy to make, and the best part is you don't need many materials to make them! There are several optional steps in this tutorial so at the end of the day, this project is really whatever you want to do to make it yours.
everyday drink coasters, crafts, repurposing upcycling
The first step is really optional. You can keep your Terra Cotta saucers plain but I wanted to add a little color to mine so I painted them with a homemade light gray acrylic paint I mixed up. When using acrylic paint, I almost always use the Behr samples you find at Home Depot--I had black and white on hand so I mixed a dab of black into some white in a Mason jar.

I didn't paint the bottom because no one will ever see them but if you don't want an unfinished bottom, feel free to paint your entire saucer.
Next, I took my super old drawing compass from college and eyed-up the radius of my painted Terra Cotta saucer.
Then, I flipped my scrapbook paper so that the design was facing down and drew out my circles. Since I had four saucers, I drew out four circles.
After you've drawn out your circles, take your X-Acto knife (or scissors) and cut out your circles. Then, apply Mod Podge to the back of your circles. Be generous with the Mod Podge but don't glop it on.
Next, lay your scrapbook paper circle onto your saucer. With your finger tips and starting from the center of your circle, gently push out any air bubbles you see. Then, paint on a coat of Mod Podge over your circle--make sure you get the edges good too. Because you're working with paper, you'll want to be careful not to rip your paper by going over it too many times with the Mod Podge. Give it a good coat, let it dry completely, then add 1-2 more coats. The Mod Podge I used is dishwasher safe so I went over all of my saucers with it--the only downside I've seen with the dishwasher-safe Mod Podge, however, is that it has to cure for 28 days.
Finally, enjoy a nice glass of your favorite beverage with ease knowing that you're not going to see those annoying rings on your table! *Another optional step: if you have a glass table, you may want to add those little felt tabs that you can stick to the bottom of your coasters so they don't scratch your glass top.

• Terra Cotta saucers  (Home Depot)
  • Scrapbook paper  (JoAnn Fabric)
  • Mod Podge  (JoAnn Fabric)

• Connie

Can these be made with fabric instead of paper?

• She6272890

some photo copy ink may 'bleed' when you apply a sealer/Mod Podge..just beware :-)

• Jud13312945

I've never used Mod Podge. Could I use fabric instead of scrapbook paper that would coordinate with sofa cushions?

• Jo Ann Spofford

I have been making these coasters for a couple of years. I use fabric instead of paper. I also put felt on the bottom. These also make great gifts.

• Jana

What size are the saucers? Can you buy just the saucers without the pots?

• Tracey2u

Yes I am. I am going to try to make this as soon as I can. That is a terrific idea about the cork bottom. That is a real god idea. Any ideas about a little desk tray to hold office things like pencils, paper clips. white out, etc. Not a big tray. Something similar to above that won't scratch desk?

• The only thing I can think of is maybe if you could find a slender cardboard box, cut it all the way down until you only have a long, skinny piece, then wrap it with fabric/scrapbooking paper or wall paper and use small pieces of cardboard for dividers. Something like this:

, Not my photo Taken from Pinterest
  • Kim

Yes, I did it!

, I did it Used scrapbook paper and brown black paint