DIY Dresser Makeover

I am so excited to share this project with you! It's one that we have been talking about doing for quite a while and have finally gotten around to doing it!
My husband brought into our marriage his beat up little dresser that he has used for probably most of his life (don't tell him I called it "beat up", please!). When we were planning Hayden's nursery, instead of buying a new dresser we decided to just give him Daddy's old one. We have been planning on fixing it up for a while, it just never happened. Until now...
I introduce to you, Daddy's old dresser!!
After scouring Pinterest, I found a few inspiration ideas and settled on staining the dresser and painting the front of the drawers with chalkboard paint. I thought it would be fun to write notes to Hayden on it, or label his drawers, or let him do his own thing with the chalk once he gets older. We recently finished staining the toy box I had made at a woodworking class I attended over a year ago (yes, I know, I procrastinated). Anyway, we had leftover stain from the toy box so we just used it on the dresser as well. We thought it would be nice to have Hayden's furniture somewhat matching.
Well, the first step was to take off the hardware and get sanding.
After the sanding was done, we moved on to restaining it. We used some English Chestnut stain from Minwax.
While the stain was drying, we painted the front of the drawers with Valspar chalkboard paint.
We let it set outside for a good week so it could totally dry and air out before bringing it inside. Then, Daddy put on the new knobs and brought it inside.
LOVE the finished product!!

• Sander and sand paper
  • Screwdriver
  • Paintbrush

Marie Heiderscheit

• J.b. kelly

That is a beautiful oak bureau .
    It will last and probably something that u do over again for the next generation .good job
  • Kaye

Great job - what a perfect restore. Thanks for sharing.